1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Programmes - Teaching Licence Waiver

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by michaelguk, 28 Feb 2017.

1. michaelguk

michaelguk Thread Starter New Member

Hello. I'm seeing alot of companies and job posts nowadays for companies and services offering jobs for teachers for EP (English Program) programmes. It seems they work with the schools to provide teachers for their own English Program within their school. What I wanted to know, and I expect the answer will vary dependent on the provider, is do you need a teaching licence waiver to work with these companies?

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

3. trnwrk

trnwrk Well-Known Member

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

so that's a maybe?

Not sure how it is in other provinces but within the one I reside, there are external companies which are beyond the reach of the TCT/OBEC licensing issue and they provide teachers out of the goodness of their own heart and a small cut.

5. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

It depends on the visa and work permit.

IF the firm is subletting you to the school and the school provides the paperwork for you to be a "teacher" then you need a waiver/license
    or just as correctly, if you have a license or the school obtains a waiver to hire you then you can be hired as a teacher.

IF the firms sublets you to the school as a non-educational staff member then you do not need a waiver but if you get caught being a "teacher" then you are in violation of your work permit (assuming you have or get one). The risk is minimal but not "0".

There have been instances when schools or staff members got all pissy and caused trouble for non-teacher teachers.

6. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

Schools sometimes get around this by saying that there is alao a licensed teacher in the room.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Please rephrase, Mr. Chips.

8. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Your work permit needs to be connected to the school not the agency. Exception only perhaps if you truly worked as say a manager and was forced to st sub (still illegal but possibly explainable).

IMO being a substitute based at the agency or on call is illegal.

The agencies I've worked for have all had the WP issued for the school.

It's very simple really.

Those agencies that gig you out to businesses also IMO illegal.

sirchai likes this.
  9. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

I'm just going by my school with the Chinese teachers. In other words I might be wrong about this. It's my understanding that if there are (supposedly) two teachers in the room, and one is licensed (and the other is not...via agency), then they are covered.

10. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

Maybe they are classified as teacher's assistants. I agree that it still sounds illegal if there isn't a work permit backed by the school.

11. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Very sketchy. Certainly must be better opportunities out there. If this is best the agency has or school willing to do for you, run.

Of course if you have no degree, this is your life.

12. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Yep, the work permits have to be issued for the schools the guys are working at. Some agencies are doing all they can against the law and do not even pay tax. If the foreigners get caught the agency might not even exist anymore. You should never ever rely on what people who run an agency are telling you.

Google is your best friend.

Depending on the province some could be employed as a trainer or a teacher's assistant.

The substitute teachers are totally illegal as they do not hold a work permit for the job they're doing. Even if it's only for a week.

The labor departments have work permits for short timers. I do not mean the ones from Nana or Soi Marlboro Cowboy.

Or maybe a curriculum consultant, even if the don't know how to spell crureculumm.