1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East and West

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by OxfordDon, 21 Jan 2017.

1. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So many expats are deeply unhappy in Thailand, and fail to make any sense of it at all. At the same time they seem to be completely oblivious to the many problems of their home countries. As they say, "you can take the boy out of the country, but can you take the country out of the boy?"

I'm sure many Asian countries present similar challenges to expats (with the probable exception of post-colonial city-states like Singapore and Hong Kong), but Thailand really seems to be impossible for many of them.

BBC - Future - How East and West think in profoundly different ways

portnoy58 likes this.
  2. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

"they are unhappy..."

"they seem oblivious..."

if there's one thing i could add would be "i've met many many expats who think they have others pegged. deep insights into other's minds kinda know-it-alls."

so, how about a more informed, "i've observed (and add something specific)" which would of course offer more insight than the broad strokes of "them and what they think" kinda trite envy masked as superiority.

3. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

You have told us how terrible Thailand is many times, in fact you seem to have little else to say. There are plenty of other forums who cater for that perspective.

But why not try reading the article; it may give you an insight into your unhappiness with Thailand.

Makaveli and Stamp like this.
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Agree on this one.
    AF is unfortunately gone, OD. That was the moment SF started posting here.

Makaveli and bahn_farang like this.
  5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

I'm a little surprised from skimming the article that language itself wasn't more of a focus (yes touched upon but not really explained). Much academic work also focusses upon how we understand and interact in the world given our particular first language.

It is late, I'll leave you with the homework if you understand Thai well ....2 examples, Mahawitayalai and Gin khaaw ...if you understand the difference to a western culture then there's a very small introduction to why 'language' should have been on the list.

6. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that article, Don, very thought provoking and very interesting sub-plot on the inadequacies and bias of a lot of research. I like that WEIRD mnemonic.

Hey Gbg please explain. I would not take issue with your point on language but I don't understand the significance of your examples. My understanding on the basis of some rickety Thai is the former means 'university', literally 'big college', while the latter literally means 'eat rice' but has a connotation of eating a meal as opposed to a snack. Do say more!