1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

doggy skin problems

Discussion in 'Pets: Our Best Companions' started by po3try, 18 Oct 2013.

1. po3try

po3try Thread Starter Guest

Somchai has some skin problems requiring us to shave bits of hair off and clean it up 'cos he's scrathed it too much or something. looks like a carpet burn a little.

a few of the other dogs around the moo bahn seem to have been shaved in random places too, and the vet said she'd had a lot with the same thing.

has you dog got/had this? did you do anything to make it stop?

the poor bastards just got over 2 on his back and now there's one on his neck. looks gross.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

sounds like mange or a fungal skin infection.

3. evl

evl Active Member

I see the locals "painting" some colourful chemical on their dogs if they start looking mangy with their fur (purple if I remember correctly) and they seem to recover pretty fast. I'm surprised the vet you talked to didn't advise something anti-fungal or disinfectant (or at least to ease the itchiness) - it can't be expensive.

4. po3try

the vet shaved the bad parts and put cream on. healed really quickly, just new bits have appeared.

5. evl

evl Active Member

I'd ask for some of that cream to be able to treat it yourself before it gets too bad (or something similar if the vet is reluctant to give you something too strong). I doubt you can completely prevent it recurring, but treating it quickly should stop it from spreading as much. If it's fungal your dog could still have fungal spores elsewhere on the body which hadn't turned into a full outbreak or is picking it up from somewhere else like a dog bed/blanket.... or simply from other dogs.

6. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Just a little extra for you, eating too much fatty food will do the same thing. If it is fungal, just get a good quality medicated shampoo and give him a tub every couple of days.

7. po3try

poor bastard (both of us... cost me 2000baht...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bahn_farang

bet he really hear you now. Today 3 separate groups of people were talking about dog rash. it is something of an epidemic

- - - Updated - - -

bet he really hear you now. Today 3 separate groups of people were talking about dog rash. it is something of an epidemic

9. po3try

been zzzing all day. i think he's depressed.

[video=youtube_share;8M7EoTial-I]http://youtu.be/8M7EoTial-I[/video]

10. bahn_farang

he can't lick his balls. If I had that ability and then it was taken away I'd be down right pissed!