1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know much about Brunei?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 5 Jan 2017.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Hi IT,

Just out of curiosity:

I'm assuming you do the interviews over Skype right? I've never actually had to do an online interview, what have your experiences been of them?

DG

2. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

^^ an asinine hiring issue? yes.

and for what it's worth a (northern) irish citizen also having a UK passport...we're hiring one now with it.

3. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

Having an interview on Skype is like having a face to face interview. You should have a good internet connection. I've had very bad quality calls at times due to the shitty internet. In China, people use Wechat to chat/text on their phone. That application also has video and free phone calls which is slightly better than Skype. I've been on so many interviews I can't even count. Most of the interviews have been one-on-one, but some of them have two or three people interviewing you at a time. If you need more specific answers, I'd be happy to try to help.

4. Internationalteacher

Well the good news is I'm going to Shanghai! I've just secured a position a few hours ago. I never heard back about a second interview with Brunei and I got a school that I'm happy with. It is also an IB school where all the courses I've taken in the last three years won't go to waste. Just thought I'd share the news!

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

That is fantastic news, congratulations on your new job! :bouncing:dance10

Internationalteacher likes this.
  6. Internationalteacher

^Appreciate that very much! I've been waiting on this job since before Christmas, so pretty stoked. Now I can really enjoy my Chinese New year vacation in a few days! :)

7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Sounds like you will partaaaaay. Happy new year, new job, new challenges.

8. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations.

9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I did some reading on the internet, and it looks as if the economy is not doing well in Brunei. Shanghai sounds a lot better. The full-time pay is definitely good in Shanghai, and the part-time opportunities are numerous. I see many part-time jobs for 250 Yuan an hour, which is good in my opinion--about 1,280 Baht. But the cost of living is high.

Shanghai is the biggest city in China. The municipality has 24,000,000 people. The metro area has a lot more. It gives meaning to the expression, "rivers of people".

A lot of foreigners are around. Some teachers like that. I chose a smaller city with few to no Westerners, a lower salary, and a low cost of living. Last year I made 11K after tax, with housing, and this year I am making 14K after tax, with housing; I make 200 an hour for anything extra; I only work 8 hours a week, but it is considered full-time. I am a trainer/teacher/hiring supervisor. In Shanghai one should be able to make quite a lot more.

If you want to go for the money, then go to Shanghai. That is generally where the best pay can be found. If you do not get housing, then be ready to pay 3-6 months rent up-front when you get your apartment. Kids coming from the UK and the US come to Shanghai to teach/party, and they make sure not to go too far from the center of the action. There are a lot of good jobs just outside the city in the quiet areas.

Now for the bad news: I would not be surprised at all to see a conflict kick off very soon between Uncle Sam and China. I see the signs. Let's see how it plays out. I would even go so far to say that now is not the time to come to China. Now is the time to see how Trump's new administration is going to deal with the South China Sea, and so far it looks very aggressive. If a shooting war pops off within the next three months I would not be surprised. I know it is a big thing to say. If it happens, I'll be out of here like a ghost.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Sabaii Dee

Skype interviews are easy. I have only had positive experiences. Just make sure it works prior to the interview. It has a self-test feature.

10. Internationalteacher

^Thanks..it seems like you enjoy your job. That's good money for such low hours. It has been a very crazy week here for me. I've had three interviews this week (Mon, Tues and Wed). I had the opportunity to go to a smaller city (Heifei) at a sister school to the one I'm currently at, but, I had to weigh all my pros and cons between there and Shanghai. I may have been able to save more money in Heifei because of a lower cost of living and I'd be living on campus for free.

However, there were many reasons why I chose the school in Shanghai, and it has nothing to do with money. The salary offered was not as high as I had hoped (but still workable), but the perks are quite good. The school, staff and admin seem great and I will be trained on the WIDA which is the test/assessment that most US based international school use to assess and evaluate EAL students.

I will probably have to pay a two or three month deposit, but I do get a nice housing allowance which is sooo much better than living on campus which I do now.

As for a problem between the US and China.. I try not to worry about that. I lived in SK for many years when there was threat of nuclear war etc.. a lot of it is all talk and attention seeking.

DavidUSA likes this.
  11. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

You sound a whole lot happier getting & secured the job at that IB school in Shanghai. Good for you. Congratulations & best wishes.

12. Internationalteacher

Stamp likes this.
  13. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

If they like you, they offer a sister school.

I recommend finding a part-time job in Shanghai because the money can really be high. I often see jobs for 300 Yuan an hour. That adds up fast.

Good luck!

14. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new job, and really great that your CPD worked out so well.

15. Internationalteacher

Thanks OxfordDon and David. :)
    This week has been the longest week of my life between three interviews for potential jobs and 55 report cards due. Phew! I'm glad it is all over! Happy Friday y'all!
    :drinking:dance10:bouncing