1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know much about Brunei?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 5 Jan 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sounds really fantastic and I really hope that they won't eat you in the jungle of Borneo....

It must be pretty cool, just found a few offers and the tax-free plus a ticket home ( Royal Brunei Air isn't that bad) makes teaching in China look very questionable.

I might give it a try as well, got nothing to lose. Best of luck for your big interview.

P.S. I can see you already in a Benz convertible....hang in there. Cheers-:thumbs up

Vacancies in International
    1 to 2 of 2 results
    PRIMARY ENGLISH TEACHER - BRUNEI
    Job ref:
    Salary/rate:
    BND42k - 72k (tax free)
    Closing date:
    31/12/2017
    Job type:
    Permanent
    Currency:
    BND
    EXCITING OPPORTUNITIES IN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
    ENGLISH TEACHERS (PRIMARY) REQUIRED

CfBT Education Services (part of Education Development Trust) is recruiting Early Years/Primary English teachers to work in Brunei Government schools
    This is a fantastic opportunity to work in one of the longest running and most successful English language programmes in the world. ...

View detailabout Primary English Teacher - Brunei

SECONDARY ENGLISH TEACHER - BRUNEI
    Job ref:
    Salary/rate:
    BND42 - 72k (tax free)
    Closing date:
    31/12/2017
    Job type:
    Permanent
    Currency:
    BND
    EXCITING OPPORTUNITIES IN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
    ENGLISH TEACHERS (SECONDARY) REQUIRED

CfBT Education Services (part of Education Development Trust) is recruiting Secondary English teachers to work in Brunei Government schools
    This is fantastic opportunity to work in one of the longest running and most successful English language programmes in the world. ...

2. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well that's what I've been told and also Brunei was a British Proctectorate until 1994, and still has a huge British influence and many expats. Apparently, the Shariah law isn't enforced like you'd see it in Saudi because they aren't sure how to implement it and it is quite a new law (2014). It is quite a peaceful place as well and the Sultan has been good to the people. The guy I talked to on Skype said that Shariah law doesn't really pertain to expats and as long as we are dressing modestly and not insulting the Sultan, we should be good.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
  3. Internationalteacher

Thanks.. I'm trying to hang in (been sick for a week with a stupid throat infection due to the pollution no doubt).

You should try for sure. CfBt does ask that you are a qualified teacher (BEd. ,PGCE) and have at least three years of teaching experience. If you have that then I'd say apply.

The only thing I am a bit worried about in regards to the job is that you don't know what school they will place you in until you get there. There are three or four areas where they can place you and they aren't all in the capital of Bandar. I wouldn't like to live in an isolated place in the middle of the jungle if I can help it. I'd rather live in the biggest or second biggest city (even though they aren't that big). I guess we can say what we want, but may not necessarily get it. Right now they are hiring for March and July start 2017. If you are serious about applying I also have the pay scale. Let me know. Thanks.

Cheers!

sirchai likes this.
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Souds good, IT. Best of luck.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  5. sirchai

Best of luck for you and get well soon. I've just seen one of the government regulations that leaves an old fart like me (56) out.

PRIMARY TEACHERS NEEDED for various start dates in 2016 and 2017 Candidates must meet the following requirements: Have a degree in English/Linguistics/Humanities from a University in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or UK and to have completed your basic and tertiary education in one of these countries / Have qualified teacher status in the form of a B Ed/Dip Ed/Dip Teaching/PGCE preferably for primary aged students / A minimum of three years relevant classroom-teaching experience after qualifying as a teacher and should include students aged 5-6 years. ESL teaching experience is an advantage / Applicants must also have at least one year FULL TIME relevant classroom- teaching experience immediately prior coming to Brunei. Exceptions will be made for teachers completing full time study or those on maternity. Teachers on sabbatical/extended leave should not be out of the classroom for more than 6 months / Primary teachers must be under 51 and 6 months of age at start of initial contract (Brunei Government regulation)

I truly hope that you'll get a decent school and area. It seems to be a nice country. :cool

Brunei.jpg

6. Internationalteacher

^Aw, too bad. I hate when they have age limits.

Thanks very much Sirchai and Stamp! <3
    I was told I was referred to the next level of interview, so I'm waiting for an email for when that interview will be. I hope I am not waiting too long.

7. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

I see they don't want americans there. was that a typo or are really being cut out of the loop? (loopy)

8. Internationalteacher

^That's right, no Americans. I'm not 100% sure why.

9. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

british curriculum? canada would be odd, if that's the reason...but it is after all a colony :-D

here in the desert, we dont take certain nationalities because there just aren't visas available for them. the reasons for that are to me, unclear. at that top level of bureaucracy, it's all about politics, perspective and such. that is, schools don't generally care. but the people who give visas and set national expectations do. we dont have visas for south africans, irish (southern) and female canadians LOL. so yeah, maybe its a patchwork set of reasons. (bangs head)

either way, good luck man! seems a decent wage and there will prolly be some aspects of their culture that yo'll think will be informed by some time in thailand.

10. Internationalteacher

^Thanks.. and I'll be closer to Thailand and other awesome SEAsian places. Another reason to spend more money on vacations. lol.

I believe the reason US citizens are not part is because the US is not part of the Commonwealth.

stfranalum likes this.
  11. Internationalteacher

^Thanks.. and I'll be closer to Thailand and other awesome SEAsian places. Another reason to spend more money on vacations.

I believe the reason US citizens are not part is because the US is not part of the Commonwealth.

12. sirchai

But regarding George W. Bush, they've got god on their side. Well, it might be the wrong god then.

I've just googled a bit and found a lot of hate against the States. One of them the Philippines..

Duterte v America: The bark's worse than the bite, Opinion News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

13. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

You had to google for this? Try a news website:smiling.

14. Internationalteacher

Well I haven't heard anything yet..... but, I have a second interview early this week with a school that I am highly interested in working at in Shanghai!!! Time to start preparing for the interview big time.

15. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

What do you think the scenario would be if you held both an Irish (republic) and UK passport, and had a flat accent, as in not quite Irish or English. Most can't tell where I come from and many often think I'm American. In England they think I'm Irish and in Ireland they think I'm English... In Thailand they haven't a clue where I'm from and get confused when I try and explain that I've got duel citizenship (in fact they almost seem to read it like there's something wrong with me lol, maybe they think of Laos as their neighbor and use that as a parallel...)

Where would it leave me if it became a mandate of a job application and they weren't accepting (southern) Irish? (which is a bit stupid as half of the US claim to be of Irish descent anyways... ;)

Again, it's another retarded hiring issue, there could be many excellent teachers of southern Irish nationality (which I'm certain there are), and without the stereotypical thick Irish accent, and I'm certain of that as there are many variations and strengths of Irish accent