1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know much about Brunei?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Internationalteacher, 5 Jan 2017.

1. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

Does anyone know much about Brunei or teaching there? I just got a letter of interest in regards to a job there.

Cheers

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Was there last May. A baby version of the UAE complete with economic issues due to low oil prices.

If you qualify for a position in a government school (QTS) then life is good.
    If not... well... caveat emptor.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  3. Internationalteacher

^Yes, that is what I am looking at. I will have an interview soon.. looks like a beautiful place to live, tax free, low crime rate and high pay. I realize it is a Muslim country, but lots of travel options nearby as well.

4. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I visited with my wife several years ago. There was a reading about the Sultan in Headway Pre-Int and I'd always wanted to go.

It's not Singapore. The look and feel was somewhere in between Indonesia and Malaysia.

As far as being Muslim goes, I don't recall seeing alcohol at restaurants. I don't recall anything draconian, either. I do recall the portraits of Saleha and Miriam. They looked like one big happy family, which I'd heard wasn't necessarily true.

I also recall hearing that people who live in peninsular Malaysia require a passport of sorts to visit Sabah and Sarawak. I would expect Brunei to feel rather small after a few months.

5. Internationalteacher

Thanks guys for the information. I'm hoping to find out more in the next week once I speak to the director. I like this job because it incorporates a bit of social work and teaching in one.. (background is in social work), plus all the other perks. I think it could be a low key and small place after while, but perhaps that may be just what I need at the moment. ;)

6. Internationalteacher

I have an interview this evening! Should be interesting. :)

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I remember a not so funny story about an American woman who found herself in the Sultan's harem and it was a torture to find a way to get out. Hired as an Au Pair.

I guess you are not looking for a harem position, are you? Lol....:angry3

8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Please let me know if they need a Bratwurst & Sauerkraut teacher. Best of luck !!!!

The smell of oil and fresh printed cash is already in my nose....

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Good luck.
    If you do get the job, why not, go for it and try it for a year and see how it goes. Don't know any more about the place than you can gogggle yourself.
    Possibly, so a one year contract would be enough initally on interview eh.

10. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

I know it's got hard core sharia law, complete with amputations and stoning and so on. Guess you'd better be cautious.

11. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

A female colleague worked there in the mid-90s for 2 years: couldn't wait to get out...like Saudi in the jungle.

12. Internationalteacher

Thanks for the well wishes. I believe they only have two year contracts. Hope to find all that out soon.

13. Internationalteacher

So the interview went well. It was more of a screening interview. I got a lot of my questions answered. I knew a lot of what he told me based on my own research and looking at the website. I have just finished filling out a six page application (three hours later), and had to send in some documents. I will then be referred for a more in depth interview with the actual project manager on the ground and someone from Brunei as it is a joint project with the British.

Perks look pretty good. I could be getting close to 4000$ CAD a month, free housing (I have to pay utilities), free loan for a car, airfare every year, settling in allowance, etc. I guess it is a one year contract, but I'd be starting mid year, so I'd be working on a 1.5 year contract.

The Shariah law isn't strictly enforced and especially in relation to expats. It is a pretty laid back society and he said that it isn't at all like Saudi which I've read as well (at least not yet anyway). Sharia law was enforced in 2014 and they are still in the process of implementing it. I guess most thieves get a fine as opposed to a stoning at the moment.

I'll find out more as I go along especially after the big interview which should be set soon.

Stamp and sirchai like this.
  14. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Thieves lose hands, adulterers (female) are stoned...people who consume alcohol (or disagree with the government) are publicly flogged. At least, that's how Sharia is implemented in Saudi.

15. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

^^ that seems like a decent deal, with housing, airfare, and a car thrown in.

theocracy here we come! :-)

(no, really the strictness isn't so bad...so long as you remember your goals and mind your P's and Q's.)