1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I miss something...? (transferring cancelled passport info into new passport)

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by DigitalGypsy, 29 Feb 2016.

1. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Be honest... how did the wife react?
    (I already know the answer to this!)

portnoy58 likes this.
  2. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

The problem is that most people here just accept corruption as the norm, whether its the 500 baht fee or fine, a driving a brightly coloured vehicle in a built up area, a teacher not teaching kids during school hours so that the kids have to study privately.

I have only every paid one fine since I've lived here, driving in the right hand lane for too long when the left hand lane was like a ploughed field. The police officer wanted a backhander but I made sure the fine was accompanied with a receipt, which he didn't like at all. I've been asked for tea money a few times and I've just played ignorant smiled a lot. I am more than willing to site on the roadside, smiling ignorantly for a few minutes while they decide they can't be arsed to bother with the stubborn farang. The more people that pay them off they more willing they are likely to try it on the next sucker.

As far as immigration is concerned, I would tread a little more carefully, as has already been pointed out, you are fairly likely to get the same officer or his friend next year! So in the majority of situations I stick to my guns, but you should always choose your battles.

portnoy58 likes this.
  3. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

You did just fine. At least there's a little more substance to work with :yes

In truth, I agree with the point of choosing battles wisely. It would make zero sense to take on the immigration officer as he's the gateway to extending my tenure here. I just don't get how these people see this as being OK... They want to emulate the west and appear sophisticated, they push these big notions about progress and moving forward etc etc, ASEAN this and ASEAN that, but really it's stuck in the stone age albeit with 4G and an abundance of 711s.

The general inertia and complacency of society here towards corruption, reckless driving, and an acceptance of people filling positions they're completely unqualified for gives me a headache... :fishwack

And don't get me started on the corrupt nonsense I have seen in the schools....

Last edited: 1 Mar 2016
    Hey_ewe likes this.
  4. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

My wife is a much more cautious and careful person than I'll ever be and is much more in tune with the way it works in these parts by virtue of her Filipino origins. At the beginning she was quite taken aback by my reaction, as indeed was I, but once we had both calmed down she actually said, and I distinctly recall it as we were crossing one of those big suspension bridges over the Chao Phaya, that she was really pleased I stood my ground.

We went through a period a few years back where every time I tried to enter a motorway, we were getting pulled. It was so bad that I always made sure I had no more than two hundred baht in my pocket to fob the BIBs off with. You know that right turn near Lumpini on the Pra Ram 4 that takes you south on one of the expressways? That was the worst. Every time the same plod pulled me for crossing a white line that didn't exist - I must have been stung about four times in a year. I guess at 200 baht a time it was bearable but it used to leave me raging and if I had known about this forum I reckon you would have heard from me on the subject!

bahn_farang and Hey_ewe like this.
  5. evl

evl Active Member

Loudly pretend to mishear: "No, it's okay, I don't want a receipt for 500 baht." Then proceed to count out 500 baht in small change on the counter... dropping a few coins from time to time for good measure.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  6. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Oh, boy, was I wrong! :hilarious

portnoy58 likes this.
  7. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Richard Barrow (I think) had something similar happen a couple years back. He took out his phone and tweeted a video of the incident.

8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Custer.....Cluster.....Candy ..Cindy???

9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

We had a new American teacher in 2005 and the Immigration at the Cambodian border, near Phussying, or maybe Phusing? ( Similar to) .
    I drove the new guy to the Immigration, one way 150 km, dirt roads and potholes, unbelievable.

The "Nice lady" then told us that one document was missing. "Could we call the school and they send a fax, Mrs. Immigration?" A cold look and a very for Thailand untypical cold look. No, you come back tomorrow.

Came back the next day with the needed document and the good woman already had the stamp in her hand, when she suddenly changed her kind mind. " But the green form is missing."

I was really polite when i said that she didn't tell us anything about a green form. Her unfaithful look was deadly when she replied:

" You say Immigration Thailand lie?" I had to put my best and fake smile on I could and replied: " Could we call the school that they send the paper via fax, please?

Same answer, you come back tomorrow. Three times 300 km through deadly valleys and the guy finally had a visa.

It could be worse for you. Cheers.