1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degree Verification Part III: Licence Revoked

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by GanDoonToonPet, 15 Jan 2015.

1. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Thread Starter Well-Known Member

This is in reference to the degree verification letter requested by the TCT when applying for both the Teacher's Licence & a 2 year temporary waiver; example letters can be found here:

Degree Verification Letter needed for Waivers

Anyway, a teacher at my school applied for the licence a few weeks ago & was given the usual letter, with a small addition:

TCT Degree Verification v3.jpg

Now this leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I, along with a colleague, was issued the licence before my verification letter arrived. I therefore thought that this requirement would fade away, as many others have, so didn't bother to give the TCT the letter. The document mentions a meeting held on 1st Sept 2014, so presumably this is the start date for the implementation of the new policy(?) I made my initial application during Aug 2014 but didn't pay the fee, on reapplication, until the beginning of Sept & was issued the licence during Nov.

To complicate matters & cut a long story short, I am currently in possession of 3 transcripts (unbelievably all 3 were opened by the admin at my school) & a sealed verification letter. The problem is the 'Degree Verification Part II' document which states that the letter has to be sent directly to the TCT. The document I was given didn't state this & I specifically asked them if it was OK to have them sent to my home address, to which they replied in the affirmative.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Should I take the transcripts & letter down to the TCT cap in hand, alerting them to the absence of evidence? Should I fork out another 1000B for new transcripts & sent them directly? Should I just wait it out?

Quite frankly, I doubt the competence of these people to take away my licence so I'm coming down on the side of waiting it out.

I thought I'd reached the finish line & could relax, but now this...:duh:

TCT Degree Verification v3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

1000 baht for peace of mind, you are kidding of course. Why would you put everything on 20 pounds sterling after all you have gone through. Pay the cash, jump the hoop and wait for the next one. IMHO

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Why worry? That letter hasn't been sent to you. In regards to the TCT, nothing seems to be written in stone.

4. GanDoonToonPet

Worrying has become second nature since becoming involved with the TCT. :smile:

Good news for my colleague anyway. His application has been accepted & he'll receive the licence in a couple of months. He has a US state licence which the TCT has refused to accept over the last 2 years; job's a good 'un. :thumbsup2:

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

homer_simpson_doh.gif

Nobody else has asked, but, since I'm a tactless asshole, I'll ask now.

After all the people who came to grief thinking that the TCT TKT requirement would just go away, how could you possibly have thought that about this new TCT requirement?

In fact, the TKT has vanished, and the letter requirement may be short-lived. The letter requirement may not even be enforced. But still, I equate ignoring TCT regs to driving without a seatbelt, riding without a helmet, and screwing without a condom. You're inviting anguish.

I hope it works out for you.

I don't understand why TCT would not accept your colleague's home state teaching credential; that's alarming.

And, in both Korea and Thailand, the school opened sealed transcripts, even with me standing in front of the person doing the opening while I was screaming DO NOT OPEN IT! They were still accepted in both countries. In your position, though, I'd probably spring for the 1,000 baht and order another set to be sent to whoever should receive them. So much has gone wrong for you, I wouldn't want to leave anything to chance.

I also wouldn't rely on the word of just one person at TCT. One of our teachers told me that a woman at TCT had told him that as long as he took a TKT, he was "making progress" and she would issue another waiver. I commented "I wouldn't put too much stock in that." With his back turned to me, he continued walking out the door to class, saying "I would."

The school wanted a license, they did not request a 4th waiver, and he was gone.

The moral is, even if one person at TCT says you don't have to worry about something, worry about it anyway.

homer_simpson_doh.gif

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
    bahn_farang likes this.
  6. GanDoonToonPet

Thanks for the advice guys. :thumbsup2:

I notice that nobody has advised going down the road, opened transcripts & sealed letter in hand, to the TCT & holding out my begging cap; must be worth a shot. :happy1:

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I know, he acquired a state licence which was activated upon starting work as a teacher. Once activated, he then had 5 years to get an education degree before it expired. However, he never activated it & apparently the stumbling block with the TCT rep was the 5 year deadline.

I'm not au fait with the US system so maybe you could elucidate. :smile:

7. bahn_farang

absolutely worth a shot.

My first guess would be that the lower level government officials will follow orders from the powers that be lest they should be held responsible. If it works out then fantastic if not then it's only a 1000 baht.

8. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

Always ask to see the supervisor or manager. Squeaky wheels sometimes get a bit of grease.

9. bahn_farang

True, but be a bit careful not to make anyone lose face. It's a tricky balance, as you know.

Good luck hope all goes well

10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Education is left to the states (and counties &/or cities within the states).

50 states + D.C. + Puerto Rico + Guam and maybe the U.S. Virgin Islands and the CNMI: that's at least 53 separate jurisdictions. You'd have to be more specific.

My sister got her California teaching credential in 1972-ish, and is was for life. She was a dual major (psychology and sociology); education was nowhere to be found.

This tells me that at least one US jurisdiction has tightened up, and it's a reasonable bet that both the PI and Syam (but especially the PI) are following the American model.

California has such enormous global influence (an economy in the top ten of sovereign states, with oil, agriculture, industry, IT, timber, and even nukes and the capacity to launch them) that its licensing procedures might be serving as a model for other countries. I have no idea if this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

11. aarontendo

aarontendo Active Member

It sounds like the colleague had a temporary or initial license in the states. It's true that each state has different ways of doing this and makes it a bit of a nightmare. Temp licenses are often given in emergencies and short term while the gets their exams and such finished.

12. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Especially when the guy with the white gloves revokes it. Some of you might have seen him before, not somebody you'd like to have as a friend.

13. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Here's my story if it helps to clarify. I have three waivers for three schools in past three years. Nothing to do with the proper license. All applied in BKK.

I have a half dozen sealed transcripts from each of my schools as well as opened documents. The TCT nor MOL has never opened one.

I have half dozen unsealed yet very official letters verifying my degree. Printed stationary with blind embossed seal. Submitted two of three times to TCT in particular, not taken the original.

OK, so imo it's a nice solid package, maybe it satisfies. Yet, I'm swimming in official documentation. I can't give it away.

I'm taking time off but I'm banking on a renewed CA substitute teaching credential to get me my next waiver #4.