1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pictures Cultural Expression on Parade

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by SageAdvice, 29 Dec 2016.

1. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Thread Starter Well-Known Member

2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Yes it's a difficult one.

In Asia in general a conventional beauty contest remains a popular form of entertainment - but back in the west events like Miss World, which in the 60s and 70s commanded huge television ratings and were waited for with huge expectation and excitement, have dropped completely out of mainstream viewing. There's probably a debate about why this is so - at one end of the spectrum, the effect of feminism on our perceptions on the role of women in society to the other, which is basically that beauty contests as a form of entertainment are out of time.

In a Thai context my experience is the general public enjoys having a good laugh at men/boys dressed up as women, regardless of being very tolerant of 'difference'. They like the freak show aspect of it all. In this sense I think this kind of show would be fairly exploitative.

stfranalum and SageAdvice like this.
  3. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Agree: however, the boys weren't forced into such a degrading spectacle (to my knowledge) and, in fact, seemed to be enjoying themselves. Of course, it's also true they might be molding themselves into what society expects from femgay boys to garner a modicum of social acceptance...in which case, this display is just another example of the darker side of Thainess.