1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Course flaws cited at 10 universities

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by Stamp, 13 Apr 2017.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

April 13, 2017 12:37
    By The Nation

Office of Higher Education Commission decides to name and shame schools
    The Office of the Higher Education Commission (OHEC) has identified 10 privately run universities and colleges with a combined 98 teaching courses deemed “problematic”, including 20 taught on campus.

OHEC inspections of the institutions last September and October determined than some courses had too few lecturers, while others had too many students enrolled, beyond the numbers officially reported to the OHEC.

OHEC deputy chief Supat Champathong said after a commission meeting on Wednesday that it was decided to reveal the schools’ names to inform the public of issues pertaining to educational quality.

Supat said Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin would be apprised of the situation so that he could decide on what action to take.

The institutions identified were:

Bangkok Thonburi University (with six problematic courses taught on campus and 26 off)

North-Chiang Mai University (two on campus)

Pathumthani University (two on campus)

Phitsanulok University (three on campus and two off)

Pathum Thani-based Western University (two on campus)

Bangkok-based Thong Sook College (three on campus and 11 off)

Bangkok-based Siam College of Technology (one on campus)

Ayutthaya-based Institute of Technology Ayothaya (one on campus and 22 off)

Bangkok-based Rajapark Institute (17 off campus)

Ubon Ratchathani-based Ratchathani University (failed to submit requested information to the OHEC)

Course flaws cited at 10 universities

2. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Now, where have I read the names of those universities before? :innocent

fred flintstone likes this.
  3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Two of those 11 universities are also where the BA TESOL course are run (you know, the one that promotes working illegally).

Want to lay odds on the problematic course singled out at Siam College is a BA offered in English to foreigners?

I'd be willing to lay long odds that the BA TESOL at Thong Sook is one of their programs that has also been labeled "problematic" as well.

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So from this story I guess all the courses at government unis are fine?

My son who is enrolled in a government uni in BKK last semester got an 'F' for one module and so did 85% of all the other students taking said module ... 85% have an extra semester tagged on the end of course to make up for this failure and of course at the expense of the parents ... oh MONEY and all that it entails in Thailand springs to mind, but then thats just me eh.

Hmmm, nothing wrong with government uni courses and I guess the students must be lazy eh.

Rant over, please take a look at some of your fine government unis erm the government ...oh well never mind eh.
    :angry4:runaround:chinrub:cursing

5. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

hate to see my school mentioned... but not shocked at all...