1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claiming a UK State Pension, residing abroad

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by bahn_farang, 7 Jan 2017.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Although there are a fair few years until I would be eligible, thought it best to plan ahead.

Is it possible to claim a UK state pension and live abroad?
    What are the minimum contributions needed to maintain the right to claim?
    Where is the best place to find information regarding these issues?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

2. Makaveli

Makaveli aka 2Pac Staff Member

Huge thing over here, and one which is only going to get worse.
    Can't answer all your questions but 'google' is your friend.
    A few things to get you started:

Changes to State Pension Age | Age UK

State pension: 'Only 45%' to get full new payout - BBC News

If a British citizen has been out of the UK for many years, hasn't contributed to their NI contributions I'd say you'll end up with nothing....and also as stated the age keeps going up anyway..
    Kids schooling in the UK was the main reason for my return but now I see also this will now help me being back working here for my life when I'm at the pension age...

bahn_farang likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

Thanks, I have been googling, It certainly looks like it is going to get a lot more difficult.

4. bahn_farang

5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

You can check your national insurance contributions online now. It’s quite useful to work out what you’ll need to pay in order to get a full state pension. What you might find is that you have some years where you have missed contributions or have partial contributions. Its a very good idea to back pay for missing years.

Check them here, you just need your NI number and passport details,

Check your National Insurance record - GOV.UK

You have about 6 years to make those contributions but perhaps 2-3 years to pay them at the lower rate for that year. The NI contributions are going up year by year, so if you pay them off in 2-3 years, then you only need to pay the lower rate. If you wait, you pay them at the new higher rate of which is about £750.

So for example, I have until 2023 to make back payments on 6 years of NI contributions but until 2019 to make the contributions at the lower rate.

It’s important to identify years where you have paid some NI contributions but not enough for a full year. I have one year where I only need to pay £150 to make up the full year. If I don’t pay in time I lose the whole year.

You need 35 years of NI contributions to make up the full state pension, if you have made fewer years of contributions, then you get a pro rata amount. So if you made 20 years you’ll 20/35 ths of the full pension amount. If you have made less than 10 years you get nothing.

My school gives us a 1000 baht a month raise every year, so I am treating that as my NI contributions fund put it to one side and you won’t even notice it.

One area I have been trying to find information about, without any luck, is whether my wife will inherit my state pension if I die before her. She is only 2 years younger than me but statistically women live longer and she is much more health conscious than I am. Under the old rules she would have inherited my pension but its not very clear whether she will or not under the new rules. I am sure they have clamped down on this but there isn’t any clear definitive information.

sirchai, Gor Blimey Guvnur! and Stamp like this.
  6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Yes you can but the pension doesn’t rise with inflation/average wage/2.5% if you tell them you are living abroad. It does go up if you live in the EU, Philippines or other countries that have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK.

It seems grossly unfair to be penalised, when you consider that we are not using the NHS or any other government services.