1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese immigration/labour want to see your work permit. Do they contact your school?

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by Fatty, 11 Jan 2017.

1. Fatty

Fatty Thread Starter Member

I'm thinking of going to work in China within the next 12 months. The money on offer is too good compared to what Thailand offers (as well as less hassle with visas etc).

I have heard that if you apply for a 'Z' Visa from Thailand (I'm a UK national), that you need to have a Thai work permit (not sure if it's for Chinese immigration or the Chinese Labour Dept). Is this true? I have one, but here's the rub...

..my school would fire me on the spot if they knew I was applying for jobs in China (they hate teachers leaving). So basically, will my school in Thailand be informed at any point? If so, I'll have to go back to the UK to apply (or get another job in LOS and apply from there).

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It's only a regulation that a foreigner in Thailand applying for a Z visa for China should have a work permit. I don't think that anybody from China will get in touch with your school in Thailand.

I wouldn't be concerned and go for it. Best of luck.

P.S. It only shows the Chinese employer that the Thai bureaucrats from TCT and educational area xxx have already checked your documents etc.

There's really no reason to go to the UK or look for another job. Cheers

There are some threads from a very friendly guy explaining all steps for the whole process

Please read David USA's threads.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
    Fatty likes this.
  3. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

It's not an insurmountable problem ...

If a potential employer in China is prepared to hire you and wants you to apply for a Z visa, once you have all the papers then proceed to the embassy in Bangkok or wherever ... in the various certifications you will receive from your employer for the purposes of applying for a visa, it will specify where you are to apply; you could suggest to your employer that they specify Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen or Phuket where there are also consulates that can issue visas. In any event if you are ready to apply for a Z visa, make up a shaggy dog story to get your Thai work permit from your employer, if, like mine, they hold it, like you need it to open a new bank account or to arrange a subscription for TV etc. The Chinese embassy/consulate will simply want to see the original and then take copies of all the relevant pages - so copy those in advance. In other words you'll get the work permit back on the same day you apply. I would also copy your contract etc - anything which relates to clarifying your official status in Thailand including passport.

I suggest you get your academic credentials notarised, legalised and certificated now regardless of whether or not you have a job. Nothing appears to cause delays more than these processes; bear in mind too that the bureaucracy, notably the Foreign Experts Bureau, ( who certificate your credentials and whose approval is needed for applying for a Z) is overloaded in June/July/ August because that's when most people renew and new candidates apply.

If you are from the UK you have two options - (1) head to embassy in BKK and swear an affidavit that these are your degrees and that they are real, ( you need to make an appointment to do this and there is a distinct possibility the first available appointment could be 3-4 weeks later), get it translated into Chinese and then present to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi to get it legalised; once you have these documents you can then take them to the Chinese Embassy and have them certificated - for another fee the embassy will attach a certificate in Chinese that says your are all ticketyboo. (2) alternatively send them to a notary public in the UK who will do it all for you for a fee including certification at Chinese Embassy in London; not cheap but highly efficient. Also bear in mind a decent school will reimburse these costs. You are then good to go to the Chinese embassy and apply for your Z

I took another route. I entered on a tourist visa and did it all once I had arrived including making a trip to Hong Kong where I applied for my Z visa. My school paid for this .... flights, hotel, meals, pocket money for four days. From what I understand you cannot apply in Hong Kong if you are employed in Guangdong province which is adjacent to HKG - so if the job is in Guangzhou or Shenzen, then you will be required to return to your home country if you enter on a tourist visa. I should also point out that technically you are illegal if you work on a tourist visa so there is a theoretical possibility of trouble. That said all worked well with my current position and the most important thing was that when I arrived in China all my paperwork was certificated and legalised and it was a straightforward process.

A final suggestion would be to head to the Police HQ in Bangkok and apply for a police check - that too could take 2 months + to obtain though it costs a comparative pittance. You may be asked for it, you may not ....

Good luck!

muppetminder and Fatty like this.
  4. Fatty

Fatty Thread Starter Member

Thanks guys.

5. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

I've a very similar question. When I leave my school, I will keep my WP, but..

I have my current original WP which I will try my best not to return. Scans of my old WP and three TCT waivers.

Non O visa

Would anyone care to wager if this would be sufficient to apply from Thailand?

Note: I MAY APPLY MORE THAN A YEAR AFTER LAST YOB IN THAILAND.

On the TEFL, is it a must? I have a valid substitute credential for state of California and CBEST pass. The credential mandates FBI DOJ check and can be seen online. Verifiable online all.

How does one certify documents, especially in Thailand?! Notary is not going to notarize plus no notary here.

Exactly which dox need what? I presume the certification is good forever also.

What about all the scams and identity theft?

Thanks

6. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Thai Police Clearance Certificates for Foreign Applicants.

Guidelines for Foreign Applicants Applying for
    THAI POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

Applicant residing Abroad / Applicant in Thailand:
    The applicant can send application by mail to the Police Clearance Service Center, with the following required documents:

1) A photocopy of Passport
    2) Document(s) stating that the applicant is used to work or live in Thailand
    3) A photocopy of Thai Working Permit (if available)
    4) Two Photographs (1 inch by 2 inches)
    5) Three sets of fingerprint. Fingerprint must be taken at local police or at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country together with the official seal and signature of the official taking the fingerprint.
    6) An envelope with pre-paid stamps and applicant's address to mail certificate back to the applicant.

Note: Applicant must certify true copy of all documents.

Police Clearance Certificate processing time:
    Applicant with no criminal record, or behavior endangering peace and order or security of the State, will receive police clearance certificate within 7 working days.

To receive the police clearance certificate:

1. Applicant receives the certificate at the Police Clearance Service Center by him/herself.
    2. Authorize his/her representative to receive on his/her behalf
    3. The Police Clearance Service Center mails the certificate to the applicant
    (a self-addressed envelope with pre - paid stamps and applicant's address provided for Police Clearance Service Center ).

The Police Clearance Service Center is located at Building 24, Royal Thai Police Headquarters,
    Rama I, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
    Phone numbers: 0-2205-2168-9 Fax: 0-2205-2169
    E-mail: pcsc@police.go.th

Suggestion:

• The best way to get Royal Thai Police Headquarters is by taking BTS to Siam Square station.
    • In case of driving a car to Royal Thai Police Headquarters, it will be more convenience to park your car at the shopping mall around Royal Thai Police Headquarters such as Central World Plaza or Siam Square.

7. portnoy58

I applied mid-August 2016 and was given a return to collect date towards the end of October 2016. I don't know how up to date your information is or whether they have changed the process ....

8. portnoy58

I wouldn't strike a wager with you on this but what the Chinese authorities want is proof of your residence. Who knows what they do when they receive an application? If all the paperwork is in order I presume you get the visa. Basically the person who takes your paper will not accept your application if everything is not in order. You may have left your job in Thailand but how would s/he know that if you present with a valid WP etc. Unless of course the consular people who presumably check random applications decide to check you out. So a risk, but probably small one.

Might be difficult other than applying from the country that issued your passport. Alternatively take the risk f entering on a tourist visa and then heading to Hong Kong to apply for a visa. Illegal and potentially problematic. Also not possible to apply for Z in Hong Kong if the job is in Guangdong province. [/QUOTE]

Pass, don't know
    [/QUOTE]

Well what happens is the schools will ask you to send the originals of the notarised etc docs. I decided there was no way I was prepared to send them as I had shelled out the money and a promise of reimbursement wasn't good enough for me. My concern was I might never see the docs again, including original degree certificates. People said copies would be good in the first instance and then you could present the originals on arrival - made sense to me so I refused and one job fell through. eventually I entered on a tourist visa, against advice, but it worked for me so not looking back.

Forgery is a big problem in China. It' s one of the reasons the biggest note in circulation is 100 Yuan, about 15 USD. When you pay cash every note is put through a checker which also counts. However one of the joys of being here is online shopping and the variety of simple ways of paying if you have nothing more than a bank account and a debit card. China runs on a piece of software called WeChat, similar in some ways to Line, but much more powerful with its own payment system - I paid for the taxi home tonight, effectively a ropey minicab, using WeChat, and the driver was more than happy to accept this. No possibility of receiving a dodgy note. You can use it and a whole range of alternatives to do virtually everything including buying airline tickets

So my advice would be to be careful with your documents - however in real terms and in most situations a foreign ID is not much use to a Chinese person.

Good luck!

9. muppetminder

muppetminder Member

Thank you very much for all that.

In US notarizing something does not make it authentic. Perhaps an attached note swearing that the document is official.

Wow 65O that's nuts. US embassy might be same at US50 per document. I'll be back in US in a year though.

So the employer expected you to send originals to China? I will never ever ever ever send my diploma and pp to China. Thx.

If what I'm doing is proving residence my non O should suffice. I'll contact the embassy. I'm married, five years. Together seven years. Non O four yrs.

Thanks again Portnoy.

10. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

No, they will not inform your school. I did got my Z in Khon Kaen, and they did not call my university.

If you have your Thai work permit, you can get your Z in Thailand. I did.

Read what I have written about making the move to China. Make sure to have all your paperwork in order. Get two copies of your fingerprints done. Know that different provinces have different requirements. Fulfill every requirement that you think might pop up. For example, get paperwork certified even if you do not need to. Good luck.

Fatty and Stamp like this.