1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China fingerprints all foreign visitors as security step

Discussion in 'General News from other countries' started by Ajarn P. Paul, 9 Feb 2017.

1. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul Thread Starter มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

9 Feb 2017

BEIJING - China is to begin taking fingerprints of all foreign visitors as it steps up security on its borders, the Ministry of Public Security said on Thursday.

Fingerprinting of foreigners will be introduced at Shenzhen airport in the south from Friday, and it will then be gradually rolled out at other entry points around the country, the ministry said in a statement.

All foreign passport holders aged 14-70 will have to give their fingerprints, it said, without saying if other bio metric data would also be collected.

The ministry said the regulation would strengthen immigration controls and increase efficiency.

The United States, Japan, Taiwan and Cambodia, among others, have similar requirements.

While Chinese border posts do not generally have overly onerous entry formalities, most visitors need a visa, though many cities have visa-free deals for visits of a few days as part of efforts to boost tourism.

Bangkok Post News

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

As the UK does

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I wish Germany would do that for well known reasons. The Paris attackers were on the watch list, got stopped by the cops on a German Autobahn., but nobody did something.

They were free to continue their deadly mission, which would be a reason to fingerprint and check on all "long time visitors."

Maybe Mrs. Ferkel, aeeh Merkel could learn a few things from China?

4. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

South Korea does it as well for all foreign nationals arriving into the country. I'm surprised China didn't do this sooner as the security is pretty strict otherwise.

5. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Active Member

Hmm. Imagine the protest in the U.S. if Trump triied this.
    All polls show that, similar to the U.S. prior to Trump, european politicians are not in sync with their voters. New polls show that the majority of europeans agree with Trump style immigration policies.

6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I see Trump creeping into more than one thread.

I'm going to borrow a phrase from (US) Constitutional Law: the affectation doctrine.

Anything POTUS does might somehow impact teachers abroad. That concept would permit Trump comments on a teaching board.

If this is the case, I wouldn't mind seeing them quarantined in a Trump collections of threads. (The Trumpet?)

(Christ, and I thought that Ajarn Forum refugees might be a problem . . .)

7. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Active Member

A simple off thread comment would have been suffice. However, you are right. The comment didn't belong here. There is another Trump thread that my above comment could and should have been on.