1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap online bachelor's degree in education

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by AlexanderTheGreat, 3 Nov 2016.

1. AlexanderTheGreat

AlexanderTheGreat Thread Starter New Member

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum... hope you are willing to help a newbie :)

Last month I had the occasion to volunteer teaching a class of Thai children and I truly enjoyed the experience.

At the moment I'm working in a call center here in Thailand but since I would like to have a more meaningful career and life I was thinking to improve my education and achieve a bachelor's degree preferably in education.

Since I live here in Thailand and can't leave, do you know an online university that can provide me something like that at a low price? (Max 100.000/200.000 baht)

Thank you
    Alex

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

3. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

You might want to investigate Excelsior University. They are accredited. If you have experience in the military, that translates into credit. You can also test out of certain subjects, and they are fair at giving you credit for any college you completed previously.

You could also sign up with a community college in your home state (if you are an American), and knock out a lot of classes at a low cost. Then you could transfer to a bigger school such as Excelsior.

Going to school is a very good idea. Make sure to sign up for grants and scholarships. Consider the tax benefits too.

4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

A LOT would depend on YOUR country of passport.

Study as an international student is usually not cheap and a bachelor degree (3-4 years of full time study - longer for part time)
    for less than 100-200k baht total tuition expenses as an international student will be tight.
    Oftentimes you will find that tuition alone at a legitimate university, even for on-line study, will cost up to 60k baht or more ($1500-2000) per semester.

Properly accredited western universities can have tuition rates well into the 200-300k baht per semester for on-line or blended programs.

If you are Filipino then there are options locally from Philippine based universities as well as the Philippine open university and some Philippine universities offering blended programs and they are not too expensive.

If you are from one of the other ASEAN countries, depending on your circumstances, there may be financial assistance based on your high school records and/or special circumstances that could permit you to take your degree and not have to worry about earning an income in a call center.

If you are from a western country then your choices get MUCH more expensive and 100-200k baht per year rather than 200k for a full undergraduate degree are to be expected at local universities.

5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Right. For an American with prior college and some pertinent work experience, Excelsior College will make the route to a BA quicker and easier. They are accredited.

6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that St Roberts do some kind of B.Ed degree here in Thailand I have now idea how much it is and I'd want to thoroughly investigate whether it's worth anything beyond Thailand and the Philipines.

You should also consider the university of London international programmes, although I don't think they run an education degree course, they do have a BA in English and a range of other subjects. It has a good reputation and the degrees are awarded by real bricks and mortar UK accredited universities.

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

St. Roberts/ Ifugao actually do an accredited BA in education for an affordable price. OP, please get in touch with the woman who's doing the enrollment for any questions you might have.

They're based in Bangkok and most is done online. Here's her e-mail address: gracegalindez@yahoo.com

P.S. And welcome to a great forum.....

8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

A BA in English, not even a Master's will help to get a license. It must be in education.

I've just received the needed information. It will take three years, 29500 baht x 9 terms.

Please see attached file. They allow you to pay in installments which might be convenient for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 4 Nov 2016
  9. AlexanderTheGreat

Thank you for the great information you provided me guys. I'm not an american citizen therefore I can't access any financial help from the US government but the St. Roberts/ Ifugao option is definitely interesting for me.

I will also take a look at the list from the TCT and find out if any of the approved universities has an affordable distance learning program.

10. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

The BA in education they run costs around 320k Baht. I recently looked into it for a friend. Looks like a fairly solid degree. You'll possibly struggle to find a good degree for 200k or less. St Roberts have a school with classrooms in Bangkok in Pratunam.

Stamp likes this.
  11. AlexanderTheGreat

Ok guys, looking online I have found this website:

www teachertrainingasia com bachelors-in-pre-and-primary-teachers-training (sorry if I'm writing it like this but I'm still not allowed to paste any links).

It is obviously a scam since nobody can award a degree in 2 years for a fee of 900 USD but I would like to have your opinion.

12. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Well, that's the price for a TEFL/ TESOL course so indeed a scam if they promote this as if it's a degree in education.

AlexanderTheGreat likes this.
  13. AlexanderTheGreat

What amazes me is how their website is so well designed with testimonials from students, "real" pictures of these people holding their degrees and universities endorsement in the website's footer.

A very well designed scam indeed.

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Lol, just google the accredited by: Pebble hills university, more scams than you can shake a stick at .....and COB (College of birmingham est. 2013) lol on Stratford rd. Sparkbrook Birmingham UK, one nasty rundown area it is, trust me one of my uncles lives 300 meters from here. Oh and it's an Indian uni, lot of Indians in Sparkbrook too.

Sadly though there are too many, most like this are easy to spot from poor English structure and explanation ...bit further and a google or two will get you to the truth.

For your Entertainment, a google maps pic of COB ...lovely looking college eh.

Brum kollige lol.jpg

Stamp likes this.
  15. AlexanderTheGreat

Not a degree in education but indeed a full bachelors degree in biz administration:

www .saylor .org/city-vision-qualifi-saylor-academy-degree-pathway/

4700 dollars and we are talking about a real uni... where is the catch?