1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Jobs and Third Work Permit Info

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by DigitalGypsy, 16 Feb 2015.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with some information:

Firstly, I'm a legit teacher currently working full time in a private school here in Thailand, with a non-education degree and also on my second work permit. So, I'm changing jobs at the end of this semester and will have to apply for a new work permit to coincide with the move. Where exactly do I stand with that and what are they enforcing or overlooking these days (as it seems to be a different issue every few weeks...) ?

I'm aware that there were issues not so long ago about 3rd waivers etc and that they were proposing to bring in mandatory requirements such as a grad diploma or M.Ed to get subsequent waivers. I've just commenced my first semester of an M.Ed at Assumption Uni here in Thailand - if I get documentation from my uni confirming my enrollment is that sufficient for me to get my next permit?

And what of the talk about an official letter sent by one's uni in a sealed envelope - is that one of the new requirements or has that not been enforced yet?

Thanks in advance chaps and lassies :wai3:

DG

2. SausageS

SausageS Member

Hi DG,

When applying for my 3rd waiver, I included the acceptance letter (Thai version) from Assumption. I got the waiver without any issue. However, others in my office also got the 3rd waiver with nothing more than some certificates of attendance from seminars and workshops etc.

My understanding is that the issue is not so much the 3rd waiver, but the changing of employer; more than 1 change of employer and there's a strong chance they will not grant the 3rd waiver. This is only what I know from 2 people that have changed schools more than once and been declined the waiver at the 3rd school. I figure TCT are trying to prevent people going from school to school as a means of travelling.

I'd say sending the Thai acceptance letter, plus receipt of payment would certainly help. I would imagine a letter to confirm you are actually on the course would be a waste of time as they can easily confirm if your acceptance letter is legit. At least this shows your intention is to meet their requirements.

As always, it depends on school connections, who processes your application, what frame of mind that person is in, and any other number of factors beyond your control.

Good luck!

3. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Sausages, jeez... starting to get worried now... :(

-it will be my 3rd school, I work for a large agency and every year so far the school has dropped the agency and all teachers citing their excessive pricing.

You mean even with a legit degree and while currently studying an M.Ed in Thailand I may still be rejected...?! Wow, they must really hate the teachers who care about their work, invest time, effort and money into their job and career progression.

What kind of god-forsaken wasteland have I doomed myself to by choosing to work here......

4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

actually enrolled in a legit M.Ed program in Thailand ... the waiver is pretty much a given.

You may need to prove it (registration and receipt) but the waiver won't be an issue unless they have problems with your employer.

5. SausageS

SausageS Member

The big question is, who did your waivers? It it was the agency, then you should be ok as technically you have not changed employer. If it was individual schools then they may decide to apply other rules to your application.
    As ttompatz says, show them your acceptance letter and receipt of payment and it should be a different story. If they so desperately want foreign teachers to have Ed degrees then they are p1%%1ng in the wind by declining your waiver once you have committed to doing the course.