1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certificates for license application - Degree verification needed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by teacherT, 8 Feb 2017.

1. teacherT

teacherT Thread Starter New Member

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I have just completed my PGCEi with Nottingham and the next step is my license application.
    Another teacher at my school has been through the process and was told he needed his PGCEi certificate in a sealed envelope sent from the university. As he had already received it and opened it he had to get a new one,at a cost of 2500 baht, from the UK.
    He has also not had the certificate back from the TCT, who say they keep it.
    My school office has told me this is part of the process.

Is this correct?
    Looking on the TCT website they seem only to ask for copies of certificates.
    I can't imagine they only require an original PGCEi certificate but copies for other qualifications are ok.
    I also don't see why it would need to be in an unopened envelope direct from the UK uni, or why they could keep it, as it is an official document and personal property.

Is there anything fishy going on here?
    or is it just a TCT way of doing things and another hoop that must be jumped through.

Any experience or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

teacherT.

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

Member GanDoonToonPet posted some time ago two threads discussing this topic.

TCT Degree Confirmation Request.jpg

TCT Degree Verification v3.jpg

Read more about this topic in the threads linked below.

Degree Verification Letter needed for Waivers | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Degree Verification Part III: Licence Revoked | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

DavidUSA and bahn_farang like this.
  3. teacherT

teacherT Thread Starter New Member

Thanks Stamp.
    I did look back over the forum, but must have missed them.

4. covertjay

covertjay Member

I did this in 2014 with an opened PGCEi pack of cert and transcripts. My school secretary went. I didn't have to. I got it a month later. Get someone from school, well dressed, nice folders of docs etc to go in with you looking rip roy and smiling at the right times. Pay them if need be. That makes officials more Amealiable. I heard a rumour the govt was going to do away with the TCT and return credentialing to MOE so there's that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. covertjay

covertjay Member

And I had no letter of any kind because the unis I attended don't do that and no problem.

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that the verification rules became enforced in late 2015. However, I've had several reports that degree verification is not applied to the provisional teaching permit application despite the introduced rules.

I hope other members who recently applied for the teacher license will chime in with their experiences.

covertjay likes this.
  7. covertjay

covertjay Member

My school also goes through this with 20 odd new qualified teachers per year including several I supervise directly and they haven't needed unsealed transcripts or letters.

I'll ask my team again today.

Stamp likes this.
  8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

There are several options for "degree authentication" when applying for a license.

• Embassy issued, certified true copy of your degree and transcript coupled with an embassy issued affidavit of authenticity which is then authenticated for use in Thailand by the MFA at government complex
      • required for Filipinos with home country B.Ed degrees or post grad teacher's certifications. (AKA embassy red ribbon and Thai MFA stamp)
      • for other nations, optional based on YOUR embassy's willingness to provide the service
      • not possible for Americans (your embassy will not provide the service).
    • Letter to confirm graduation (as per instructions) which is then sent to you from the UNI but unopened until it reaches the TCT.
    • "Official transcript" in a sealed envelope bearing the postmark from home (sent to you but unopened until it reaches the TCT). It must have your dates attended, degree awarded and bear the registrar's signature or seal.
    • Certified true copy of your degree and transcript coupled together bearing an apostille. (Yes, I am aware that Thailand is not a member of the apostille treaty but since the apostille is issued by the Secretary of State from your home country it will suffice.

covertjay and DavidUSA like this.
  9. covertjay

covertjay Member

One of my teachers from the US just brought over degree, transcripts with no letter and no problems. Went through process end of last year.

Fairly sure the school you work for, the appearance of the school rep (or you if you're doing it yourself) and how recently the officials have been transferred (once every three years) giving us a new policy 'focus' (great point whoever mentioned it earlier) are all factors as important as the official policy itself.

Stamp likes this.
  10. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

And she received her license (yellow card) or just the provisional permit?

11. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

+ 1Not very difficult to receive a waiver, was it the provisional or professional license?

12. covertjay

covertjay Member

I'd call it orange but yes.