1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancellng WP when exiting The Kingdom of Thailand

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by bhoydy, 18 Jun 2012.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli aka 2Pac Staff Member

There is your answer, things have gotten tighter now mate.

2. bhoydy

bhoydy Thread Starter Member

Thanks Stamp,

I might just go and cancel it myself then, because my old school were never very good with administration issues. Has anyone ever done it themselves?

3. bhoydy

bhoydy Thread Starter Member

Just so you know i went to the Department of Labour who said i could cacnel the WP myself. I then went to immigration who said i should go to see them after i cancel my work permit. They will cancel my extension of stay and i have 24 hours to get out the country.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

So all's good then?

5. po3try

po3try Guest

yep, i think i was in and out in 10minutes max. easy.

6. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Re: Cancellng WP

Lo and behold at Mae Sai they have it posted that you have 7 days once a WP is cancelled ... I did not catch the date on the document (or if there was one), does anyone know if this is the case now? or is Chiang Rai just a bit behind?....

7. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

AFAIK, Bangkok is seven days.
    Work Permits & Employment Contracts in Thailand - AngloINFO Bangkok (Thailand)

I have no idea how recent this information is.

8. MisterStretch

MisterStretch Guru di guru-guru Ingeris

That's always been the case, wang...and I have heard nothing recently that says those policies are still not in effect.

When I left my job in Thailand, the school was holding my WP, so I left it to them to sort out.

They must have not cancelled it, or immi and labor don't talk as I came and went for the remainder of my Non-Imm B validity with nary a problem as I went back and forth to the Middle East the following year.

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I have found this and a couple other forums saying that when your WP is cancelled you have 2 options:
    1. leave the country immediately
    2. go to the closest immigration office and get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht.

- - - Updated - - -

however, in none of the threads did I see any 'official' source being quoted. But, it does jive with my recollection...

10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

1900 baht?

Isn't that just about the cost of a visa and round trip bus fare to/from Cambodia &/or Lao?

Or train fare to/from Malaysia?

Gee, I'd often wondered how they settled on that particular amount.

11. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

well, if the above is the case, I would imagine the cost would be 2000 baht, as the cost of visas are now 2000.

12. thelessonradio

thelessonradio New Member

i realize this is an old post, but i'm confused at how it works crossing the border (i'll need to re-enter on a tourist visa). if i cancel a wp and extension of stay on my own, do i need a letter from my old employer stating my last day or would documentation of me canceling the wp & extension suffice?

also, how is a tax receipt obtained? i've never heard of this before

13. Ajarn Marc

Ajarn Marc Member

You can cancel your WP on your own. WP is, above all, your personal property. With the WP in your hands, go to the labor office and you are out in 10 minutes.

Income tax: hm, yes, obviously you have to declare your income on a yearly basis. This is not Monaco!
    In general, a person subject to PIT has to file a tax return and pay tax by the end of March following the tax year which begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 every year. Thus if not done, you're late.
    School should produce the needed docs for you to go to the local tax office. Takes 20 minutes.

As a teacher, you're a local resident. You can not deny due to the stamps in your passport. Therefore, you can not apply for a tourist visa to re-entry the country. Tourist visa are for tourists, and you are a resident,....
    However, it's all in the wording: after your exit due to end of contract, you want to re-enter the country to visit as a tourist before going back to your home country. You have been sooooo bussy busssssssy teaching that you did not have the opportunity to visit Thailand in depth. Therefore, you indeed need and apply for a tourist visa. And, during your in depth visit of Thailand, before you leave for your home country, you encounter this new job opportunity,... Hmmmm, convenient.

14. slamb

slamb Active Member

I wasn't asked about tax when I exited at Nong Khai last month. There is no need to cancel the WP anymore but you have to cancel the extension at your local immigration office. To do this you'll need a letter from your school stating your last day of employment.

15. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Me neither. I didn't cancel my WP; just gave it back to school. I didn't cancel my extension of stay as it was only valid for a few more days. No problem at Nong Khai leaving the country.
    I got a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane last month. No questions asked. I had a tourist visa before between jobs. In fact, a few years ago in Penang I couldn't get a non-B due to a missing WP application form and they gave me a tourist visa instead which I later changed to a non-B in BKK.