1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can my mom use her debit card in Thailand?

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by Garden, 15 Sep 2016.

1. Garden

Garden Thread Starter is a computer buff

My mom is coming over from Germany for the Christmas holidays.
    I wonder what kind of debit cards work here and what the fees are?

It is ages ago that I've researched which debit card that is tied to a checking account actually works in Thailand and what the fees are.
    For me, about 10 years ago, my german debit card would have to show the Maestro logo and it simply worked in Thailand:[​IMG] It was based on a magnetic strip and a PIN. But I've heard that Maestro has been replaced by V-pay by VISA. Unfortunately, I don't know what V-pay is, because my knowledge is so outdated.

My questions is, what logo a foreign debit card should/must display in order to work in Thailand?
    Does it matter, if the card is chip-based or magnetic strip?

Assuming the above is resolved, what are the fees incurred to my mom's account, when she draws cash from a local ATM?

Thank you in advance.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Usually all cards with the Maestro on it are accepted. But please tell your mom to make sure that she asks her bank if the card's really "good for International transactions."

I think it's around 180 baht per booking. Please tell her to go to ATM's inside a bank, just in case if the ATM keeps the card for whatever reason.

Having some Traveler Cheques would be great, just in case she's losing her card.

Please see: Thailand: Banks & Money - TripAdvisor

4. sirchai

P.S. Please tell your mom to go for the best possible travel insurance. Dirt cheap at any bank.

Inducing covered air transport in case of emergency. Of course does nobody think that something like that would happen, but it occasionally does.

Best is a mixture of all. Cash ( easy to exchange), Traveler Cheques and an ATM card.

I hope that your mom will love her holiday. Auf Wienerschnitzel. :cheers

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Maestro is fine but charges apply ....minimum in an ATM is 200 baht fee afaik from my own experience of a using DD card.

6. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

If you want to really play it safe have her mail the card and PIN to me, I'll check it out, make sure it works and mail it back.
    cheers

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

Didn't you promise to a monk that you'll stop your criminal activities? Next time when I meet your wife, I'll tell her what a guy you are.

Trying to rip off a German lady. Unbelievable.

marcusb likes this.
  8. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

One of my cards stopped working. Bad chip? If she has time, she should get a free credit card. ADVANZIA BANK offers a gold card with travel insurance included. Geb├╝hrenfrei MasterCard Gold - www.gebuhrenfrei.com |
    Home
    I think

she should go inside the bank if she wants to withdraw cash. Had a terrible experience with my HSBC card in Pai. 5,000 THB withdrawn as the hotel wouldn't accept a cc.

• 200 THB fee
    • 3,47 GBP fee
    • ? cash advance fee
    • 2% foreign currency transaction fee
    We are talking about 10 bloody pounds or then almost 500 THB. :cursing

9. sirchai

Thread closed and plenty of "holidays given" to members of this forum.

I can just switch you off, dude.

Metisinbed dead, hopefully sooner, than later.