1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Dog in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Pets: Our Best Companions' started by po3try, 3 Jul 2011.

1. po3try

po3try Thread Starter Guest

The GF and I have come to an agreement that I can have a Nintendo Wii if she can have a dog. :wink2:

She seems keen to get it from Chatuchak market.. She got her last dog from there which was healthy enough apparently, with no problems and would still be going strong in her home town if it wasn't for its apparent fondness for sitting under cars.

but is there anything resembling a 'normal pet shop' in the western sense in BKK?

2. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  3. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Why not adopt a soi dog? There are many good ones out there, thrown away by Thais who treat dogs like toys. I have 2 soi dogs. They are great!

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

This is a nice dog for the both of you. :happy1:

myriapode-dog.jpg

myriapode-dog.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  5. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

I would never buy a dog from a dog monger, every dog I have ever owned has been from an animal pound, or in the case of the current one, found dumped on the side of the road. Contact SCAD, most of their dogs have been nutted and vaccinated.

6. zeusbheld

zeusbheld Member

seconded (thirded actually i think). some soi dogs clean up rather nicely, you can choose according to personality. some vet's bills cleaning up mange, worms, etc. but hey. you're not only giving a dog a better life you're giving whoever lived near the dog the chance to be free of his all-night soi dog barkfests.

it's highly likely that your gf wants one of those small handbag-sized dogs that are so fashionable among Thai girls right now, but the problem with purebred dogs in general is that purebred = inbred. in addition to many purebreds being incredibly stupid animals, they are far, far more prone to genetic diseases.

7. crew

crew Faber College Member

wow. sounds like you're getting the shaft.

while you can play nintendo with headphones on an never bother the GF, the new dog is going to become a burden on your time and wallet. unless of course the GF is paying for all the upkeep and cleaning up the poo. wanna get away for the wknd??? have fun with ensuring the dog is taken care of.

sorry po. i'm not a dog guy, but you could probably sense that already.

8. po3try

she wants a pug so it looks like a breeder is the way to go.

[​IMG]

9. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Perhaps if you showed the young lady these quotes, along with telling her that she will build tons of good merit by taking in a stray?

10. tomcat

tomcat Member

...crew has a valid point: dogs require a certain level of commitment from their caregivers...

11. po3try

It is something that we have talked about. quite a lot.

It's not something that I don't want but I made it clear that it is her dog and thus she is responsible for the general care and vet bills etc. We have friends/family that can take care of it if we go away. If not there are doggy hotels not far away. We are the bottom floor of a condo (that allows pets) so have a small garden and as long as we clean the shit up there would be no problems. She's had dogs all her life and is aware of the various health issues certain types of dogs face so I'm sure it will be well looked after.

I'd prefer a cat TBH.

12. tomcat

tomcat Member

...that's a horrible thing to say...

13. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

I prefer pussy too, but the dog is friendly every day of the month. :wink2:

14. crew

he did say cat and not pussy TC.

well done po. now if the GF follows through on her words with actions, you know you've got a pretty sound GF.

15. crew

hadn't seen mr. t's comment before making mine. great (gutter) minds think alike.