1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Budget issues" => school giveth and taketh away

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by Clown, 30 May 2014.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A few weeks into the new school year, there is now talk about not paying the holiday periods & ending the contracts sooner Is this something you are familiar with?

Just wondering if this is an isolated incident or some scheme to take advantage of gullible new-hires?

2. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

IMO, just more BS to put your promised money into the pockets of others.

3. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Do you have a written contract?

4. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

What luibkk said.

What does your contract say about pay and holidays, Clown? (My guess is you don't actually have a contract.)

5. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Schools giveth & schools taketh away. Amen. :smile2:

6. Corsair

Corsair Well-Known Member

Most of what I saw online was just that. The only jobs offering 12mos did not look like jobs I wanted.

I am sure I am alone but Im happy not to be paid April (I think). Agency/school total ball and chain all year. One month is mine with no fine print demands.

Youd think agencies and schools would give you a week at NY and toss you a few three day weekends.

In US every natl holiday falls on Monday.

It may turn.around next year with the 'crackdown'®™ But it will require everyone to hold out and...be willing to walk.

We still have no clue about tct/moe future. ITS JUNE.

7. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

On second thoughts, going by Clown's previous threads, it is probably not worth thinking too much about an answer. It probably has no direct relation to him and his OPs can be hard to follow.

Clown, please try to make your posts/OPs clearer. (Where is it you are from?)

"there is now talk about not paying the holiday periods & ending the contracts sooner" v "Just wondering if this is an isolated incident"

Talk by who? How often?

8. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Now I have, then I posted, I hadn't.
    On Fridays, teachers must wear a special Lanna shirt. Real Thai silk: teachers gotta pay 1,000 Baht towards it, the school's matching the payment. No evidence, but someone might have negotiated a special deal :sshhh: I mean, that's more than 35% of my monthly rent! *** Elsewhere, they made foreign teachers buy Scout uniforms. there was this fat bloke... :hilarious:

9. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

Well, some schools do, others don't pay for special clothing. At one school I got a nice but bright yellow windbreaker and a two-piece suit for free. Another school gave me the traditional Thai shirt and a tracksuit for free. At my last school I was given a piece of cloth and told to take it to the tailor shop for making a shirt. Cost: 500 Baht. Oh, almost forgot. At this school we also had to buy a T-shirt for the school anniversary for 300 Baht. All my own T-shirts cost 100-150 Baht.
    That's how it is. Take it or leave it.