1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit vote...what's it all about?

Discussion in 'General News from other countries' started by steveolevi, 22 Jun 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Let the EU Spring begin. :pity

I think we just saw democracy in action, democracy at its best. Ten years from now the Brits will know for sure that this was the best thing that could have ever happened to their country. The people who have benefited most from globalization, who were ready to sell out their fellow countrymen, and the immigrants, did not win. I for one am extremely pleased by this.

And your average Brit did not give in to the scaremongering pedaled by so many. What is amazing and so heartening to see is that just about nobody in the establishment wants Britain to leave. They are very comfortable and happy with how things are. Anger about allowing all the cheap labor in (and the loss of cultural identity) got put down to racial prejudice and bigotry. Not so. People have a right to keep their culture and identity. Great Britain saved itself and this has been a seismic event, something historic. :uk

2. DavidUSA

After Cameron's resignation speech, his wife looked at him with shock, "how could you have done anything this stupid, do you understand what has happened, what this means?"

3. DavidUSA

I think his emphasis on stability was spot on. He showed himself in a very positive light. But wait a second, let me take that back. That shock in his wife's eyes right after the resignation speech: "do you realize that you caused the break up of Great Britain?" Instability seems to have made a sudden appearance, but that will settle down. The truly ramshackle operation is the EU, and GB was smart to cut itself away.

4. DavidUSA

Cameron calculated that the Scots wanting to distance themselves from London would work in favor of GB remaining in the EU. Now he gets his worse nightmare right in the face: no EU and the break-up of Great Britain. What a legacy. It is like you get to pilot the QE2 for a while, take some nice selfies, and instead of plowing ahead to Brussels and dreams of multi-kulti, your boat ends up at a destination in the opposite direction, one that everyone who actually cares about the country recognizes as better: England.

5. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I personally don't think we will be better off. We have taken a step back from globalisation in leaving the EU and now potentially Scotland leaving the Union, perhaps followed by Northern Ireland and lets not forget what an explosive can of worms that could open up with the Unionists and Republicans. That would leave England and Wales, not the happiest of bed fellows at the best of times.

What does the future hold for Britain? Well we don't make much any more and the few industries that do manufacture, have said that they will consider moving their operations to a cheaper country within the EU. Our financial services sector depends heavily on being part of the EU, so many companies and the talent will move elsewhere. The only people who should be celebrating this are China, India and other booming economies because the 5th biggest economy in the world has just sliced its own Achilles tendons, mainly because people have been unhappy with immigration. I wonder if the fist waving Brexit supporters will be quite as vitriolic, when companies like Toyota, Nissan, Airbus, Ford etc. start upping sticks and moving to Paris or Berlin.

If you want to know who the real elite are, then you should have a good look at the leave campaign, incidentally many of them keep their finances off shore for tax purposes, like a true patriot. Britain out of the EU, will see a weakening of workers rights, intrusive surveillance and an ever growing far right racist movement like Britain first. David Cameron was a puppet, I don't believe he supported the remain campaign, it was one blunder after the other and I believe them to be deliberate.

The main winner in this whole debacle is Boris Johnson, to those who are not familiar with him, he is an affable buffon,bumbling around like an overgrown child. Eton and Oxford educated like Cameron and much of the current government. Descended from French aristocracy, he is hardly a man of the people and he will do nothing but squash the poor people. This imbecile is set to become the next prime minister and despite the fact that his is a moron of the highest calibre, he is charming and people will vote for him. British people seem to quite like voting for toffs, so that they can doff their flat caps to their betters...."Yes, Mr Johnson, quite right sir, three bags of coal in the cellar sir"

Aj Michael and sirchai like this.
  6. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

Well, well….. the vociferous Brexit proponents got what they wanted. but are now bailing out when real leadership is required to sort out the mess of their making.

Scotland and Northern Ireland should pull the pin on the disunited kingdom, and let little England sort themselves out.

7. KhruRandy

KhruRandy Member

myopic, no? The mess created by the pommies was by them pulling the pin on the EU and leaving it to the rest of the member states to sort it out. Scotland Wales, and N Ireland doing the same would solve exactly what?

The idea for statehood for the colonies of N Ireland, Scotland and Wales might not be without merit, but declaring independence as a knee jerk reaction to the 'Brexit' vote is.

8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I've just recently seen a very interesting documentary where a well- known German shoe factory paid even less than the minimum wage in Romania. Here's a list of potential countries that might produce British goods very soon:

List of sovereign states in Europe by minimum wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia