1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit vote...what's it all about?

Discussion in 'General News from other countries' started by steveolevi, 22 Jun 2016.

1. steveolevi

steveolevi Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Pros and cons...

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Import and export is all based on regulations under the wings of the European Union. The EU is said to be the largest economic entity and can therefore set its conditions with other entities in regards to import and export. The UK is responsible for quite a part of the EU's economy. When the UK leaves, the EU might lose its place as largest economy which will have effects on the current conditions of the import and export trade. Moreover, the UK has to develop new conditions in regards to import and export based on its own individual economic power. I think that's in a nutshell Brexit.

Haven't thought about that but it'll have negative economic consequences for The Netherlands, so leave it as is.

3. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

The economics debate is not the focus unfortunately and there's little doubt in my mind that it is in economic terms that the implications of leaving will have its greatest effect. There might be a short term boost to the economy as the investment world realigns itself but in the long term I have no doubt that quitting is bad for the UK economy and bad for Europe's. Of course the real debate in the UK appears to be about Britain getting back control of its borders and the perceived threat of immigration - and of course a sizeable chunk of the history of the world is about patterns of migration. This is not a new phenomenon, neither is the influx of migrant groups to Britain with different cultures, religions and languages or indeed anywhere else in the world. Shame the debate has been dominated by this topic.

4. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

In my opinion the European referendum debate has been dominated by immigration. The referendum was called by David Cameron in a knee jerk reaction to UKIP (UK Independence Party) taking votes from them. From what I've read and watched it's been a vile, hate filled campaign. What amuses and somewhat annoys me, is that many British immigrants in Thailand (sorry they seem to want to be labelled as expats not immigrants, clever branding?) spend most of their time moaning about foreigners in their country, whilst sitting in a foreign country, occasionally they take a break to moan about the resident population too.

British people seem to be dreaming that Britania will once again rule the waves, well the world economy has changes dramatically since then with the emergence of countries like China and India. We are better placed to compete with economic superpowers within the EU as part of an economic superpower.

I hope common sense will prevail but I fear that this issue has become far too emotional. There are problems with immigration but not enough to justify a leave vote, not that I think a leave vote will solve the problem. The Remain voters are extremely motivated and a much higher population of them will turn out to vote today. Once again I suspect the biggest winner will be apathy.

Aj Michael likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

"Youth unemployment rate in EU member states as of February 2016 (seasonally adjusted)

The statistic shows the seasonally adjusted youth unemployment rate in EU member states as of February 2016. The source defines youth unemployment as unemployment of those younger than 25 years. In February 2016, the seasonally adjusted youth unemployment rate in Spain was at 45.3 percent.

Greece 48.9 %
    Spain 45.3 %
    Croatia 40.3%
    Italy 39.1%
    Cyrus 30.5%
    France 24.6%
    Poland 20 %
    Great Britain 13.4%"

This is a recipe for disaster, for revolution (people will turn on the immigrants as the economy gets worse). Adding a lot of immigrants into this mix is absolutely insane. It bodes very badly for the future. More to the point, terrorism is going to increase and surveillance is going to increase. It will only take one major act of terrorism to change the course of European history for the worse, and five things are paving the way: 1. open borders 2. an effete policy of bombing folks in other countries while pretending that it does not matter, depending on them not to exact revenge 3. well-financed, savvy, and hardened malicious operators 4. being lax and unaware of the horrific danger posed by certain immigrants. 5. Mr. Snowden, traitor. It is not time for a group hug. It is time for expulsion, protecting borders, and limiting immigration. This is not an employment problem for Europe. It is a question of preventing revolution and massive terrorist attacks. It is a question of London not becoming Aleppo, or worse. It only takes one, and once that happens it will be too late, and no one will actually be able to pinpoint who did it unless it was clearly admitted. In short, we are watching Europe collapse, and Great Britain has a chance to step back, protect itself, and stay strong. Let's hope they do.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2016
    Wangsuda likes this.
  6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Took the words right out of my mouth ...well said.

Yep, the outs of the far right persuasion appear to vote out on a singular issue, im sure you can guess which one. Misguided to do this but if you look at the wider and far more complex issues of employment and where the economy may or may not go for that matter then there are a mass of arguments to exit. One could add that many UK people would like to be masters of their own destiny too, for better or for worse, by not being dictated by the Brussels mob. I'm not going to bore all with the details of why to exit, please read the economic arguments for yourself, I have and there are some compelling ones.

Yep the ins believe that the economy would be stronger and future prospects good being within an large economic block. The connotation of safety and strength in numbers is also good thinking. Also, some voters fear change and that is a personal thing, can't blame an individual voter for that eh.

Where does it leave me as UK person? Whichever way I may have voted is a close call to stay in or go out, but what I will not do is vote, or even consider for that matter, the issue of immigration. Immigration WILL always exist regardless of today's vote, and as mentioned before, if that is your only focus then you are a foolish voter when oh soooo much more is at stake here.

My penneths worth, an immigrant in Thailand who is happy that I am allowed to be. Love GBG

BTW, wasn't gonna comment as just about sick of it all on daily fecesbook stuff but there ya go ....whatever the final count is tomorrow morning I will wake up once more and go to work in a foreign country and the UK will be what it will be and praise be the lord that fecesbook will get back to the more important issues of birds, bikes, and beer.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Watching the vote today ...all votes in for Scotland, Wales,and NI. The scottish remain (1.66M to 1.02) quite a margin and they seem to want to be part of everyting after their referendum a while back. The Welsh leave (855k to 772k) , and NI remain (440k to 349k)

England 14.3m to 12.5 m to leave ...12 counts to go as of 5.55am GMT ....need overall 200 odd thousand votes for leave. Yep, we're leaving 99.9% ..... now back to my muugroop and yeah its over !

Overall and predicted 52% leave 48% remain. Close!

Update 12.01: 9 counts to go, 37,665 votes need for exit ...99.999% leave.

6.04 am GMT ... the balance has been tipped with 8 counts not yet in ...WE'RE LEAVING ....bye bye EU ...I heard that Holland is gonna hold its referendum if the UK leaves ....start of the total disintegration of the EU? Time will tell. Love GBG

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

What does Brexit mean?
    It is a word that has become used as a shorthand way of saying the UK leaving the EU - merging the words Britain and exit to get Brexit, in a same way as a Greek exit from the EU was dubbed Grexit in the past.

How long will it take for Britain to leave the EU?
    This was a question asked by many people. The minimum period after a vote to leave will be two years. During that time Britain will continue to abide by EU treaties and laws, but not take part in any decision-making, as it negotiated a withdrawal agreement and the terms of its relationship with the now 27 nation bloc. In practice it may take longer than two years, depending on how the negotiations go.

I'm just wondering how that will affect Ireland?

Please see: The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know - BBC News

P.S. I'd be very happy to see a Grexit. Germany should be next IMPO.

The British Pound seems to be down like hell. How will that affect Brits on retirement visas in Thailand?

9. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

Done now….. I did qualify to be British, but didn't bother going through the process required to get a passport; could see no real benefit.

As such I am a bit disappointed that the racist, nationalistic attitudes of English mongrels (for in truth the English are of very mixed breeding and origins; have been for centuries) over-ruled the Celtic hinterland, and the cosmopolitan minded folk in the capital. Maybe it is time for Scotland to rethink independence. It seemed to have a much more Euro feel than England, in my impression when I was there…… Wales and Northern Ireland too.

As a passport carrying Irishman, I don't really give a hoot.

And as a New Zealander, I don't think it will affect the land of my birth too much, certainly not as much as it did when UK cast the Empire adrift to embrace Europe, (but has never really done so).

10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

The whole story is quite interesting, considering that the UK "joined" Europe in 1971.

Do we have a new continent now, as the UK doesn't belong to Europe anymore?

Germany called top diplomats from the EU's six founding nations to a meeting Saturday, and the president of the European Council, Donald Tusk, said the bloc will meet without Britain at a summit next week to assess its future. Tusk vowed not to let the vote derail the European project.

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," he said. ( Weren't these also Adolf's words, or those of his fancy elite?)

I might be wrong though.

But already, far-right leaders in France and the Netherlands were calling for a similar anti-EU vote.

Source: Bing News, can't copy the link for whatever reason...

I hope that Germany will follow and let Greece, Hungary, Spain, Italy and all the other Super nations handle it.

Germany should have their Deutsche Mark again and it would be a strong currency.

Why don't they get it? German cars and technology will always be better than Chinese crap.

Even when it's off topic now, but did you know that the steel for the San Francisco bridge was/( maybe still is) made in China?

America said that they wouldn't have such steel factories anymore. Weird world, why didn't they built one, too many people are jobless and they let the yellow guys do the job?:go10

11. Aj Michael

12. Aj Michael

Hey_ewe likes this.
  13. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Oh god no! Please don't leave us alone with the English! 555

I can see the EU being very very tough with the UK as they will want to dissuade any other countries from leaving. I haven't seen any coherent plan or strategy for what the UK is actually going to do now.

Aj Michael likes this.
  14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

the wheels will turn, the money will flow. The UK will leave the EU zone. People like to doubt leaders, but the British have spoken. The first UK attempt at entry, let us not forget, was rejected by a very unappreciative general!

15. Aj Michael

Yes. the rhetoric has been all reasons to leave, with nothing said about how to do so. No wonder PM Cameron has decided to resign, and let the leave crowd sort it out.