1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books I've just read.

Discussion in 'The Library' started by po3try, 29 Apr 2012.

1. po3try

po3try Thread Starter Guest

The Cloud Garden by Tom Hart Dyke and Paul Winder

[​IMG]

Lots of talk about orchids that I didn't understand. Not very exciting and my god to they come across as posh... 2/5.

A Fete Worse Than Death by Iain Aitch

[​IMG]

Quite funny at times. You probably have to be English or spent time there to get all the humour. 3/5

Bangkok Days by Lawrence Osborne

[​IMG]

A funny, interesting read about Bangkok expat life. Genuinely interesting. If you lived in BKK around the 90's/00's then you'll recognise most of the places he talks about.

2. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Fnar Fnar... :hilarious:

3. crew

crew Faber College Member

Life - Keith Richards
    Keith-Richards-book-cover-Life.08-101-659x1024.jpg
    The survivor's story is one of the predominant narratives of our time. It usually traces a familiar arc from excess through despair to redemption, and, as such, allows us to enjoy the vicarious thrill of voyeurism within the framework of a cautionary or salutary tale. Life by Keith Richards, the most famous survivor of them all, breaks with this tradition insofar as it contains excess aplenty but hardly any despair and very little redemption. Keith did it all, had a hell of a good time, and survived to brag about it.

my favorite type of book is an autobiography and i've read quite a few. although it peters out at the end once he starts sharing recipes, the book is a fantastically fun read. i had trouble getting through it because i was always you tubing videos of the artists and songs he mentions throughout the book.

The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson
    travels.gif
    A travelogue by Bill Bryson is as close to a sure thing as funny books get. The Lost Continent is no exception. Following an urge to rediscover his youth (he should know better), the author leaves his native Des Moines, Iowa, in a journey that takes him across 38 states. Lucky for us, he brought a notebook.

just started it. if the rest of the book is as good as chapter 1, it should be great. the first line of the book:
    I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.

Keith-Richards-book-cover-Life.08-101-659x1024.jpg

travels.gif

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  4. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

The narrows - Michael Connelly

More brilliance from the master of crime!

While investigating the death of ex-FBI profiler Terry McCaleb at his wife's request, Bosch begins to suspect that notorious serial killer and ex-FBI supervisor Robert Backus, aka The Poet, presumed dead, may have murdered McCaleb. Digging deeper, Bosch follows a lead to Las Vegas that brings him into contact with the FBI. Meanwhile, FBI agent Rachel Walling, who was at one time Backus's protégé in the FBI (as McCaleb had also been) and who has been exiled by the FBI to South Dakota for four years for her role in The Poet investigation, is the subject of messages sent by Backus to the FBI. As Bosch and Walling are both outsiders to the main FBI investigation, they eventually join forces. The novel shifts points of view, cutting from Bosch's first-person commentary to the third-person perspectives of Walling and Backus. Bosch meets a neighbor whom he later discovers (in the book The Closers) to be Cassie Black, the main character of Void Moon, and he begins a relationship with Walling. He also accepts an offer from his old partner Kiz Rider to rejoin the LAPD under a new chief of police, as a homicide detective in the Open-Unsolved Unit within the department's Robbery-Homicide Division.

5. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

I read it some time ago and love it just as much as I love his other books that I have read. A Walk in the Woods, Neither Here nor There and A Short History of Nearly Everything are some of my all-time favorites.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

How about some books for the tct tests? Not lecturing just nudging :thai wai:

7. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

No fun and not necessary at all. I passed all four sections on the first go with reading material from this fabulous forum only.

ThailandTeaching.asia is all you need!

8. bahn_farang

555 i know you passed as does did i ... everyone i bump into i tell about passing. the postman, paper guy my mother in law.. But the others need to get into gear.......

9. slamb

slamb Active Member

Just started reading the Game of Thrones books. After all my, extremely vociferous, years of reading books that were turned into films/TV shows, I am truly shocked by the 'quality' of the books.

It seems like, unlike the TV series, that these books are aimed at semi-literate children; it was almost like reading a screenplay, or even worse, reading an abridged version of the script.

The TV adaptation can't be faulted IMO - I like boobs. :smile:

10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

There was a collection of Douglas Adams books, I purchased a legal copy in India for a pittance and then lost it.

There was an in-progress Dirk what's-his-name holistic detective agency novel in the collection, and some other letters/articles.

11. bahn_farang

:hilarious: honesty really is great. This could be a great chat up line "Hi my name is Mike and I like boobs."

12. kardisa

kardisa Member

Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 9.01.41 AM.jpg
    Hysterical book and similar in style to Bill Bryson. This is the first one he wrote, but his others (Getting Stoned with Savages, Lost on Planet China) are also worth a read. 4.5/5

51N+qFzgE4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Bought this on a whim, since I thought it would inspire me to run more. It succeeded in doing that, but it also made me realize how bat-shit crazy ultra-marathoners are. Overall a good book, but like any compilation, some of the authors' writing styles are better than others. 3.5/5

Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 9.01.41 AM.jpg

51N+qFzgE4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  13. Farang_Ba

Farang_Ba Active Member

I read The Da Vinci Code, I thought it was alright, nothing too great though. I did like Dan Brown's writing style though, the story flowed pretty smoothly.

14. bahn_farang

I'm half way through the bible (no i'm serious). Whatever you religious position it makes a great read

15. slamb

slamb Active Member

I've read it & as a novel it's a piss poor read. Characters have no depth & the plot leaves a lot to be desired. I won't talk about...