1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bayern - the place I come from

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by sirchai, 15 Jan 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Mognsigneure. Enjoy your Sunday and your free day tomorrow.:smile

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Cheers. Relax and chill out. You're almost there.

Which German dialect is that? :hilarious

3. sirchai

God, how could I misspell this word? Monsignore ( Don Camillo was one of them), something similar to a bishop. Originally Italian as far as I remember. I beg your pardon.

DavidUSA likes this.
  4. Stamp

No problem. I thought you were from Beiern.

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

Dear Stamp, I'm from Bayern, but from a place that's called Franconia. There's a lower, upper and middle Franconia. It was sold to the barbarian Bavarians a long time ago for only a few gold coins. I'm from the lower part and we usually live a much better life with our so unique food. I can't and don't want to speak the local Bavarian language.

I'm not telling any lies now when I come up with a statement that Franconian food is the most delicious food you can get all over Germany. Let's start with Sauerbraten und hausgemachten Kloessen = marinated pot roast with homemade potato dumplings.

That goes on and on and on and you'll find plenty of villages with their own brewery where you can have really decent food and first quality beer for almost nothing.

Northrhine Westphalia doesn't have that kind of food and you'd only find that in a bigger city restaurant for quite a lot of money. You'll face the same problem in Frankfurt, Hamburg, or other well-known cities.

I'm aware that you grew up at a place called Arnhem, which is right next to Germany. But when you order any food there (the german part) it's got nothing to do with our food, you just don't get that quality in the north, or Northrine Westphalia.

(Or Nordrhein Westfalen) as you know it. I know that you're fluent in German which makes you to a special guy. Dutch, German, English, Thai and maybe some other languages you've learned at school.

You're way over the average Europeans with your language skills and I'm not trying to lick your shoes now.

But we Franconians have our own language, much closer to "Hoch Deutsch" ( high German) and the way of life is completely different to those Bavarians.

The first time when I drove to "our" capital city Munich and wanted to eat something, but I couldn't even understand the waitress when she said: "Moagst n' Oabatztn?" I had to ask her if she could speak German and it later turned out that this food was an over-ripe camembert with onions, pepper, a fresh baked "Black Forrest bread.

The funny part was that an American helped me to "translate the waitresses' words into something I could understand.And the camembert was so good that I ordered another portion.

Lower Franconia also produces many first class wines. 20 years + ago it was only about the quantity they could get out of the harvest. That has changed and you'll only find high-quality wine now, red, or white. Dry, or sweet. No stuff that's mixed up with sugar that you've got more alcohol and a big headache the next day.

Only to make sure that I'm not trying to come up with something in favor of the place where I grew up, but my city called Kitzingen has the oldest wine cellar on this planet.

For those who like good wine, please have a look here:

Wine tasting in Germany's oldest wine cellar | Mediterranean Cruise from (A)thens to (B)arcelona | Off Exploring

I apologize for being so off that there's no excuse.

I was just caught in my former life and couldn't resist. :cheers

Stamp, should we meet somewhere in Europe one bottle of Beerenausleese and a Sauerbraten for all of you will be on my bill. I know how to make wine from A to Z and would deeply appreciate to import our wine to Thailand. I've tried that a couple of years ago, but the alcohol mafia doesn't allow you anything where they might lose some business.

I was even that far that I was at a meeting with the big guys from Big-C and Tesco, but they didn't have enough power to give it a try.

I could have gotten a very decent wine for 1 Euro per "Bocksbeutel", but there's no way to bypass the well-known chains that do all to keep you out of business.

Even having friends who produce wine in my area who wanted to pay for transport, etc.. wasn't helpful, bypassing all the useless middlemen.

Otherwise, there'd be some very good stuff at Big-C and Tesco for almost nothing. Not the cheap and nasty Austrailian, or Chilean, or Italian wine. I'm talking about real wine. :smile

Sauerbraten from Kitzingen lower Franconia.jpg

2000_iphofer_kronsberg_baccus_beerenauslese_375ml.jpg

Last edited: 15 Jan 2017
  6. Stamp

Thanks for your reply, sirchai. Learnt a lot again. Cheers.

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

You're welcome, Stamp. Right after the harvest of the red and white grapes is a nice time where people drink Bremser ( near your border it might be called Federweissen).

It's basically grape juice that just started to produce alcohol and the longer it's in the container, so more alcohol it's got.

We ( three guys and a girl) made the record and drank 79 glasses of Bremser a 0.25 liter. But we sat inside a heated room. When we walked out for a pee, quite a few started to lose something out of their faces and experienced the impact of oxygen after so much alcohol.

We all stood near the forest, our stomachs had to get unloaded and once we were done the friendly owner came by with a bucket of sand put it on our stuff that had fallen out of our faces and said that we were good to go and could continue now. Holy buffalo.

We went back and continued drinking and we all drove home in our vehicles. Very stupid I know. Luckily nobody had an accident, I saw everything twice but used an old trick and closed one eye.

Stamp, I'd love to bring you to that place of a good friend who had just visited me. Always a good band playing and if you can play an instrument, you're free to join in.

Good night.

The chicks on the photo after many Bremsers and a good band playing. That's how we like our life in my area. Mao maak maak.

Roemerhof Bremerparty.JPG

8. sirchai

Ouups, a Bayern thread....:cold

9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I thought you had been reading too much Ann Radcliffe.

While you are sitting there in Isaan, with sweat dripping down your back and gigantic black scorpions crossing the floor, break out some Ann Radcliffe, which is better than dropping LSD. Let me recommend, "The Italian", or "The Mysteries of Udolpho".

Sabaii Dee

sirchai likes this.
  10. DavidUSA

If you are from Bayern, you can drink. I lived in Germany for six years, and I went to Munchen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen every chance I got. Good times. Eleven Furstenburgs (.4 L) and eleven Obstler shots, and I am good, ready to walk home in the snow.

I will tell you something about Germany. People think that Germany is about sauerkraut and oompah music at the gazebo. Nein. It is about having real friends.

Those small towns between Munchen and Garmisch are nice.

In Munchen, don't miss the Alte Pinokothek, a big art museum of Medieval paintings. The Neue is good too, as is the museum with modern art.

I lived in Stuttgart and in Rhineland-Palatinate (near Idar-Oberstein). I am dating myself, but I remember waiting for those pesky Russians to come across in 1989. If that had happened, it would have been a bloodbath. The Romanian Revolution of December, 1989, was no joke and a shitstorm was ready to hit, but it never did, thank Allah.

Just kidding. Germany is nice, West and what was the East, and I miss it.

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

Thanks for your great insight and knowledge about the Barbarians.

Should you ever make it to Germany again, just drive to Nuernberg, which is in Middle Franconia, then only 70 more km's on the A 3 and drive down at the Biebelrieder Kreuz (cross). Then drive to a village your choice and order some food.

You'll pay about half the price you do in Munich and the people are much friendlier. Not too many Jodlers there. And beware of the Schluchtenscheisser ( Austrians) :cold

12. sirchai

The wine is from a friend and it's always a pleasure to first taste all his new creations before I'm even allowed to buy something.

Emmerich, Wirsching, and a few others. best wines and no rip-off. Quality, not Quantity. Enough Bayern for today, thanks for your input.

Don't forget the Criminal Museum in Rothenburg/ ( ob der Tauber and you might see Thai groups between all the Chinese guys))

13. DavidUSA

Bad Kissingen is in the north of Bayern, not so far from Wurtzburg (sorry that I did not put in the umlaut). Bad Kissingen is one of those cities whose name is in the back of the mind of an American soldier because we had a base or bases there. The US had bases all over Bayern and Baden-Wurtemberg because, well, that was a good defensive position. Moreover, that was where the best beer is!

14. DavidUSA

Been there many times, especially to that wonderful museum to the NS-zeit.

15. DavidUSA

A big tourist trap like Bernkastel-Kues, and you know it.

sirchai likes this.