1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BANANA BOATS, PARASAILS BANNED FROM SAMET BEACHES

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Stamp, 21 Nov 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -
    November 18, 2016 1:54 pm
    KOH SAMET — The sight of beach-goers bouncing along the surf atop a large, yellow inflatable may be a thing of the past.

A reshuffle of park officials to cut corruption has led to a raft of new rules announced Friday for the party island of Samet, a popular Bangkok escape, including a ban on banana boating and parasailing near the beach.

The island is part of a marine national park, and in addition to banning beach activities in the Khao Laem Ya – Mu Ko Samet National Park, all illegal piers must be demolished with boats only allowed to stop at the official pier operated by Rayong provincial authorities.

“The boats used to drop tourists off directly at the beach in front of the resorts. It was not well-organized and could lead to accidents,” said Prayoon Pongphan, the new boss of Koh Samet national park. “Also it was difficult for authorities to collect entrance fees for the island reliably.”

Prayoon was appointed to head the park in September after a mass transfer of 80 officials to combat organized crime operations which demand money from businesses such as banana boat operators, masseuses and fire dancers.
    Those removed were accused of corruption and colluding with business operators on the island.

The illegal piers reportedly brought in 200,000 baht every month to island officials, who also used them to pocket 40 percent park entry fees, according Natthaphol Rattanaphan of the Marine National Park Department.

After the relocation of staff, Samet national park saw an increase of 4.8 million baht in revenues last month, four times what was collected in the same period a year ago, Natthaphol added.

He said the policy is also to change the image of the island from party island where people come to drink and dance on Silver Sands Beach to an ecotourism destination.

Despite the ban on banana boats and parasailing near the beach, Prayoon said they only have the authority to regulate what goes on inside park boundaries.

“It covers only a few kilometers [offshore],” he said Friday. “If they go further than that, we can’t forbid them.”

Prayoon said the golf cars operated on the island would also be removed by year’s end.

Those renting jet skis, motorcycles and speed boats will need to win permission from the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department to operate.

Asked if there was any concerns about capacity by reducing access to just one pier, Prayoon said he believed it would be sufficient to serve visitors.

Banana Boats, Parasails Banned From Samet Beaches

I like the island a lot. Nice restaurants, nice accommodation and good food. A bit pricey though.

It was the first island I visited when I arrived in Thailand 16 years ago.

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Prayoon was appointed to head the park in September after a mass transfer of 80 officials to combat organized crime operations which demand money from businesses such as banana boat operators, masseuses and fire dancers

I've experienced something very interesting about eight years ago when a foreigner wanted to have some recreational aid and told the Thai guy who worked at a Reggae bar who got it for him not to tell the source that it was for him.

The guy who worked at the Reggae bar was a younger Isaanjero and his answer was pretty much clear, funny and scary at the same time.

"You no worry, I get from tamruat, no problem here. for you. They make all here. "

He said the policy is also to change the image of the island from party island where people come to drink and dance on Silver Sands Beach to an ecotourism destination.

You gotta be kidding. "Ecotourism on an island that's so fragged up?" I was there about 20 years ago, a little paradise. No electricity in the evening, romantic candle- light dinner at the beach and a "luxury bungalow" with space for 10 people was only "haa reu " baht.

Asked if there was any concerns about capacity by reducing access to just one pier, Prayoon said he believed it would be sufficient to serve visitors.

Insanity pure. It was so nice to get out where you're actually staying. But that was a long time ago and the island became so polluted that I'll never go there again.

How does the Army accept the cops' business and how many poor workers, not just the illegals from Burma will lose their jobs?

The crime will now be done by others, or what? :cursing

3. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

No compromise with illegal resort operators on Samet islands
    in General | November 22, 2016 | (2,328 views)

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation will not compromise with 24 illegal resorts which are encroaching on the Khao Laemya-Samet Islands national park in Rayong province, Mr Tunya Netithammakul, the park chief, announced on Tuesday.

Representatives of the 24 illegal resorts were invited for talks with security officials on Monday. Thirteen of them have agreed to move out and to dismantle their resorts, but the rest have refused to leave, claiming that they have legally occupied the land.

Mr Prayoon Pongpant, head of Khao Laemya-Samet Islands national park, of all the 24 illegal resorts, 13 of them refused to move out with nine others having opted to challenge the park officials.

He said the defiant resort operators wanted the officials to verify if their official document about land lease with the Treasury Department was legitimate or not.

He explained that, initially, the defiant resort operators would join army personnel and officials of the Treasury Department in conducting field inspection of the land in question starting on November 29. The process must be completed within December 15.

No compromise with illegal resort operators on Samet islands |

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

"Legally occupied the land" sounds incredible.......:good night

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

:confused Maybe I'm not awake but I find this confusing, whichever way you add it up.

So I take it the documents they have are for a lease type arrangement which is being challenged as maybe issued 'not correctly' within the boundaries of a national park no less, lol.

I think this whole thing will come down to who is mates with who thus determining who stays and who goes. TIT.
    :flim