1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Bait and switch??

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Templeton, 24 Nov 2016.

1. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

So a while back I asked for some advice on planning and teaching very low level students as well as mixed level. I haven't been teaching for too long but am starting to learn a few things. However, I recently ran into a situation I'm not sure how to handle.

I was hired to work 26 classroom hours a week at a salary of roughly 31k a month; after the 26 hours I would be paid a rate of 400 per hour. I was just told my hours have increased to 31 hours in class but I will get 300 per hour. I mentioned this and the owner said they can only afford to pay 300.

Question: What would you do??

Desperate for work? No.

Small town? Yes.

Do people talk? Yes.

Thanks for your opinions.

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Unless I had a compelling reason to stay in the town, I'd depart at the end of the term. No need to give an explanation: the owner already knows why. I suspect he'll pull the same shenanigans with your replacement as well...and your replacement's replacement.

Clown and stfranalum like this.
  3. Templeton

Well I live here with the fam. So leaving the area is not reall an option considering we own our house and the land it's on. The contract is for a year so I'm curious about what happens if I break it? Also, there is that question about the WP.

4. SageAdvice

Sounds like a compelling reason...and a good deal for the owner: cheaper labor cost.

5. Templeton

Well it sounds like you're saying I'm screwed. If that's the case I'll leave tomorrow and grab another ED Visa. The job is not that important. Money wise or any other reason. If I'm reading this correctly you're telling me they are screwing me and think I have no choice. I have several, so leaving isn't off the table, I am simply looking for diplomatic solutions.

6. SageAdvice

Why? You're being taken for a fool. If you have other (reasonable) options, I would certainly consider choosing one and moving on. Your school director is pocketing money that belongs to you and isn't being diplomatic about it...just greedy. Such a situation should be self- evident.

7. Templeton

I'm new to teaching and was hoping I was wrong. But obviously I'm not. Thanks for the bad news.

8. SageAdvice

Reality bites...at the least, you'll have gained valuable experience from this episode and will enter your next teaching position with your eyes open a bit wider. Best of luck.

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

My satangs worth .... 31 contact hours for what will be then say @37k pcm is not very good. As many places do, your boss has broken his promise of 400 baht over and cut it, thus he has broken his contract/word to you and he knows it. Feel free to leave when it suits you e.g. pay day and just don't come back.

Sorry to say this as it affects the kids you teach but then the boss is being 'khii niaw' and knows it and you seem unhappy. If as you say money is not an issue then no need to stay and no need to worry about breaking your contract either IMO. You won't be the first or the last teacher in LOS to do this, so leave when it suits you and not them.

Oh, as for small towns and people talking, IMO don't think too much on that either and especially if you don't have money worries ....another job locally can be had.

Oh, and another addition Templeton as sage pointed to: Quite common practice for agents with directors or directors on their own to do a bit of skimming off the top ....with you doing 31 hours along with me presuming there are other foreign staff there doing similar, they can basically claim for say 5 staff and only employ 4 ...do the math and a nice skim can be had. Just an example as I don't know your school or set up there. Welcome to teaching in Thailand for some.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2016
    SageAdvice likes this.
  10. Templeton

Thanks to all!

11. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

dont make an argument about it, and just walk.

....unless you need the visa to stay in the country.

(arguing will make problems and that can end up being a big deal in LOS)

you can tell him that you will stay with the 400...and see what he says...but just assume back stabbing and other unrelated problems if he acquiesces.

12. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

The boss wants your money, and he or she spends a lot of time figuring out how to get it. This is common, even normal, in small towns in Thailand. It happened to me, and it happened to almost every other teacher I personally knew.

How you react is up to you. If you signed a contract, then you can go to a court. They do not like to hear that word court, even though you may not win. You can say that you will stay for 400 per hour according to the contract, and that any issues can be resolved by the court. Or you can do what I did: I got on an airplane and went to the Federal Police in Bangkok, posted what the school was doing on my FaceBook page, took a selfie at the Federal Police Office, and long story short, the money hit my bank account within 48 hours of walking into the Federal Police Office. After that, you can go find a job working for good people, or you can throw in the towel. I did a midnight run, which I call the Suvarnabhumi Option, and found a job in China in which my salary more than tripled. Moreover, I just worked on my two days off, teaching privately, and they paid me 15, 892 Baht (equivalent) for 10 hours of work. It feels good.

At my school in China the people are dedicated to education, and the bosses spend their time thinking about how to make the school better. They are Chinese.

The other thing I did was paint the internet with what happened to me. I did it to shame them and warn the next guy or gal. I say play hardball with your school. I would also listen to what others on this website advise you to do, especially the ones with a lot of experience. In my opinion, if you show any weakness they will try and turn you into a slave whom they laugh at. Fight hard, or quit and find a good school (talk to the foreign teachers who work at that school before you sign up).

By the way, teaching for 31 hours a week is too much.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2016
  13. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Sounds like you scored a victory both for fairness and for you personally, especially when the move to China proved the correct choice.

I would advice caution on posting to shame on the net. If you have an escape route as DavidUSA had then absolutely go for it. But here's the catch, a catch which I have used to my advantage on more than one occasion, incorrectly worded posts on social media are illegal and can result in prosecution. Be brave, but be wise.

14. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I am not advising anyone to go on a crusade like I did. I had determined that the next fella or gal would get a useful piece of information if they did a search on Google, full stop. Then a funny thing happened, about a year later: the main site I wrote on went out of business and my nasty remarks disappeared. I felt relieved, in a way. And then something even funnier happened: does anyone think that things turn out well for those who are full of greed like that? Mai. It is not something to gloat over too much, but stealing, a lot or a little, has a way of burning the fingers of the thief. :hilarious

There can be a lot of wisdom in taking the inoffensive route: quit with a smile. Let Karma do its job. It might be a lot smarter to avoid fighting a poisonous snake than setting yourself up for a future bite.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2016
    bahn_farang likes this.
  15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

so true,