1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad crash today, 25 killed.

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 2 Jan 2017.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Horrific. RIP to all who left.

What a f()£&@ way to start the new year for parents, relatives and friends of those who passed.

marcusb likes this.
  3. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Of course, the sad thing is that such carnage happens every year on every extended holiday...and on every non-extended holiday, weekday or weekend day. The answer lies not with controlling alcohol sales as governments have tired to do in the past ot with feckless police stops, but in education through the schools and media, increasingly efficient police efforts, and in more creative ways to get the possible results of drinking and driving across to the general public. As all this is obvious, it's safe to assume another built-in fail then...

4. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Hard to believe (or is it?) on average 32 die every day on the roads here every day. This isn't the west though remember, I bet more people in China get killed on bicycles than that every year. Most of the numbers for the deaths here seem to come from young drunk males on scooters (without mirrors) at night.
    Vans? My worst nightmare. How would you get out if that big door was slightly buckled. Those poor people.

5. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

Awful thing that happened. Saw another article the other day stating that the majority of road deaths that are non motorcycle related come from the vans.

Seems that in Thailand if you are a van driver, you are incompetent, reckless and have no concern for your passengers and other road users.

At my school there are lots of vans that deliver and pick up students from neighboring areas and when in the school they drive like maniacs there too! I just can't understand why they have to do 80 km in a school environment. Seems the most important thing is to soup up their van with hot wheels and engine modifications.

A number of videos have been posted by parents seeing the schools vans roaring down roads doing 120+ km, loaded up with kids, none wearing seat belts etc and performing dangerous maneuvers on the roads.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

As an update today. 25 dead and two injured. Bloody death traps those public vans are. I haven't used a public mini van in about 1.5 years and have decided never to ever use again in Thailand. The stats on accidents put these crap van drivers in 2nd place behind motorcycles. In this sad case too, the van was the cause of the accident and not the pick-up.
    RIP.
    Horror highway crash, blast kills 25 | Bangkok Post: news

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member