1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anzac Day - 25 April 2014

Discussion in 'Social and Public Events Calender' started by Stamp, 25 Apr 2014.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Anzac Day /ˈænzæk/[1] is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served."[2][3] Originally 25 April every year was to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I. Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, and Tonga[citation needed]. It is no longer observed as a national holiday in Papua New Guinea or Samoa.[4][5]

Anzac Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:thai wai:

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

would the opposite be Prozac Day?:righton:

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Amazing guys who fought a long way from home to protect freedom. Thank you

4. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Aye. Just went back home to Malaysia. Visited my grandfather's grave. There were a number of NZ/Australian soldiers buried there. From WW2 and the Emergency era.
    Good blokes.

5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Gallipoli was a particularly brutal fight. Hemmed in against the sea, dead bodies all around, flies, heat, dysentery: they kept fighting. And it became an unpopular fight back home. It was Churchill's greatest mistake and ruined his career for over twenty years. But Gallipoli marks the entrance of Australia and New Zealand onto the world stage.

Attached Files:

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Old thread but I will comment.

The day is observed to remember the dead of all conflicts. Details are spared, save to damage the emotions of those that have lost an irreplaceable part of their lives.

I hope we can remember the memories of OUR loved ones with fondness and not as you describe of "ruined careers" "dead bodies". Were these things real? Yes, but a little tact please:thai wai:

7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Got it.