1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone exercise here?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Internationalteacher, 12 Feb 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

You're cheating now. That's not considered an exercise. :ban

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The facts that I don't pay for and travel to a gym or use purpose specific equipment don't mean it isn't exercise.

I have commuted by bicycle to some jobs. People thought it was a good idea, getting a workout while going to work. Very convenient and it saved time and money.

I did, too.

But, if you feel the urge to join a gym and use a treadmill, knock yourself out. I'm quite content walking around the campus and climbing stairways to heaven (students at the top of one, wife at the top of the other). As are my colleagues.

We'll both be panting heavily on the Great Wall tomorrow. I'll be sure to point out that it isn't exercise.

Internationalteacher and sirchai like this.
  3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Agreed. I exercise while playing pokemon go. (yes, still). An hour of brisk walking most evenings has helped me slim down. Plus I'm fitter. Don't believe me? Ask me wife. :P

Internationalteacher likes this.
  4. gungchang

I was wrong. My wife didn't pant at all. People thought that I, however, was having a heart attack.

The cable cars take out a big chunk of the climb, but there is a lot of uphill just geetting to the car station and then from the car station to the wall at Mutianyu.

wall pollution car.jpg
    I'm not sure which was more impressive, the wall or the pollution.

DavidUSA likes this.
  5. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

I have exercised pretty consistently since my early 20's. I'm now in my early 40's. I do what I can with the equipment etc that I have. I have switched to using only dumbells for the last 6 months when I do weight training. I think its much better. Much better range of motion. I have also switched to doing bench press on the floor using dumbells. I had some back problems before but now NOTHING.

One exercise that has been a game changer for me has been the FARMERS WALK. Basically you pick up two dumbells with as much weight on them as you can handle and you go for a walk. I usually walk up and down my stairs as well. This exercise IS A KILLER! and I think its improved my core strength etc more than anything I have ever done. Going up and down the stairs with the weights ruins the legs and the dumbells have made a HUGE impact on my grip strength. This grip strength has helped me in many other areas.

I cannot recommend the farmers walk enough.

6. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nice pic, minus the pollution. Yup, it got bad again this week. Can't wait to bounce from this city..enough is enough.

^Cool, I've never really tried that much. They make little hand wrap weights that you can carry around or even ones that wrap around your legs or arms for walking.

--
    Thanks for the additions. Good to see some people doing some exercising.

I'm still going strong here. I worked out 6 days this week. Booked a trip to Hua Hin in June for a Fitness Bootcamp for two weeks. I learned Muay Thai in Thailand for a month in 2008, and now going back to do some MT, with a host of other exercises to be done everyday (TRX, intervals, yoga, Muay Thai, running on the beach).

spidey and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  7. gungchang

I used those way back when. I wouldn't try packing them in a suitcase, though. Too heavy and I can only imagine what they'd look like in an x-ray.

8. Internationalteacher

Yeah no doubt. lol.

By the way, thanks Gor for the like. Good to see a few supportive people on this forum. Seems rather small and cliquey these days.

gungchang likes this.
  9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

To be honest, if you're gonna do it...make it count. Little hand weights arent going to cut it. I am talking about walking around with 25 - 40 kg in each hand. You have to build up to it of course. If you do the farmers walk correctly your whole body feels taxed. Start off with as much weight as you can handle while walking around as fast as you can for 1 minute. DONT attempt stairs untill you know the weight range you can handle. I started quite a while back with 15 kg in each hand. This was ok and wasnt pushing it....but challenge yourself!!!

10. Internationalteacher

^Yeah, sounds good, :). Glad it worked for you. I do other crazy stuff like an hour of Muay Thai, TRX training and Space spinning. :celebrate2
    Today's my rest day.

11. gungchang

Add shopping to the list. A trip to Walmart on the bus through a few inches of snow and through a hole in a fence and on a couple of buses. Liquids and rice become heavy quickly. I guess it works as well as strapping something to my wrist

12. Internationalteacher

Today I did 30 minutes of running /walking intervals - 1 minute walking fast/1 minute jogging and 30 minutes elliptical trainer.
    Anyone still exercising? I've been going pretty hard since I last posted with spinning, interval training, barre classes (ballet/pilates).

SundayJam likes this.
  13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I'm getting heavier and my belly is growing again. I must start again. Question is when?

14. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

I've kept up the exercise.....though a case of 'tennis elbow' has made me modify my weight training routine. I have gotten into the habit of walking briskly up and down my stairs untill my legs are like jelly. As I said before, I also do this at time with heavy dumbells. Yesterday I walked up and down 2000 times. My legs felt like I had been for a very long run....but I handnt :flim I am liking the efficiency of stairs. Its much lower impact than running. I've seen a few of my mates dad's have to give up running in later life due to issues like shin splints etc. Stairs strengthen the legs as well as being an aerobic exercise. Add 30 kg to each hand sometimes while walking up and down and you're.....f*cked by the end. I miss hills.....but if I put on some loud music my stairs are transformed into a landscape full of natural beauty, bee hives and naked cavewomen in heat.....

15. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Well done, International Teacher! Keep it up.

I have a gym at my condo and will work out every day provided those Facebook exercising aren't hogging the equipment. I'll throw the irons around for about 20 minutes and then walk for an hour. Sometimes I'll do this twice a day.

I'm 53 and will feel joint pain in my shoulders and hands from time to time. If I don't feel right, I'll take a break or cut down substantially on the repetitions and weight. Often I'll be at the gym in my casual work clothes at 5:30 am before heading off to work.

My office is also on the 4th floor and my classes are at every corner of the school. I'm with Gung Chang in adding that this is also quite a work out, but not enough in my case. I've lost 10 kg over this past year and would like to lose 5 kg more.