1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any mid 2016 updates on obtaining a 3rd TCT waiver (provisional teaching permit)?

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Stamp, 7 Sep 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

A colleague of mine has to apply for his third provisional teaching permit. His two previous permits he got from another government school in town.

Despite changing schools in March 2016, Immigration gave him an extension of stay until the end of the employment contract with the new school which expires in April 2017 but Labour gave a work permit valid only until expiration of the provisional teaching which expires in October 2016. Note that the waiver is on name of the other school in town.

I'm looking for recent information in regards to obtaining a third provisional teaching permit. What about the rumours that a third waiver won't be issued when changing schools? What about the degree verification rules launched in 2014 or 2015?

Thanks for reading and hope to get some recent information.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Sorry Stamp, no updates from me. Will certainly keep my ears open.

This constant changing makes it difficult for the short term teachers, I guess the long term teachers are either happy in their acceptance of ambiguity or committed to furthering their studies.

Either way thank you for avoiding this worry

Stamp likes this.
  3. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Don't know if this counts the same as changing schools but I did have a break from school life for 2 years. I worked at a school for three years from 2011 to 2014 and used 2 work permits. I then worked in the corporate world for the next 2 where I did not need one. I returned to the same school this year where I now have my third waiver. Although I am enrolled in a course with Ifugao the school did not state this on the application.

Stamp likes this.
  4. Stamp

Thanks for the info, Dubarry. Appreciated. :thumbs up

5. peepo

peepo New Member

Hi

I'm on my third waiver, third school. Three years. I'm told that it's the last - but if I stay on I may snag yet another. So it's perhaps not the last.

It's never the last bc TiT.

It's my impression that good schools are desperate for good teachers.

If you have a solid degree behind you, a good resume with respectable, responsible positions and a history of prior employment at recognized schools you won't have problems. At least, I've had none.

If the schools really want you that there is no limit to waivers imo.

It's not easy to find dedicated teachers without the myriad of social baggage who will WORK 40+ hours for 45k pm.

I'd not bother with large agencies, they are only interested in warm bodies. Direct to school or maybe small well run agency only.

The answer is yes.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  6. bahn_farang

welcome to the forum

Quite possibly this is the case but there have been plenty of examples that suggest that your opinion may be wrong. Either way it's like playing Russian roulette if a teacher leaves his life up to the fun and games waiver dance

sirchai likes this.
  7. Stamp

Thanks for your reply, peepo.

Welcome to Thailand Teaching.

8. peepo

peepo New Member

Yes, anything is possible, I was simply offering my opinion.

I don't really follow forums but one thing that is always lacking when people post their failure to obtain a waiver is their background, history, education and schools.

My opinion is that some people do meet a minimum standard. Others struggle for four years and never meet the standard.

Regardless, I would not want to live my life chained to a broken school teaching M2, M3/14 in Nakon Nowhere for 30k year for fear of taking a risk.

If you are teaching without a path and plan for a license you're pretty much rolling the dice anyway so I'm not entirely clear on the risk you had stated. Anyone that starts teaching here must know about the two waiver rule, if not - it's on them regardless of what sort of lifestyle they've jumped into.

Good luck

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  9. bahn_farang

No arguments from here on this one. The risks I was referring to was the fact that many leave their lives up to the will of TCT waivers, although I have heard from this Nakon Nowhere that the stubborn die hards are coming round to the realisation that full licensure as opposed to constant waivers is one less headache.

30k a month by the way :smiling

totally agree

like I said above, the risk of the waivers running dry

10. peepo

peepo New Member

I agree that most people are confronted with such reality. But for others I see 4-5 waivers and opportunities for work permit as a contracted professional.

I also believe there are few barriers to age. Some schools definitely have a cut off but last May I had a half dozen offers from top tier Bangkok public and a few private schools.

So you really need to consider the source and yes I'm not so full of bluster that I don't believe there is a limit at the TCT for all of us.

Nevertheless, good schools need good teachers. There is a shortage. Perhaps still little or no shortage of 50yo men with dodgy degrees and soft majors. Can't produce university letters, no transcripts, sketchy diploma. Bog standard schools.

11. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

Schools will try to keep you on waivers even if you are eligible for a permanent licence, as the waiver limits your job market value.

12. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

My id really wants to weigh in on this topic but both my ego and super ego say leave it alone.