1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on private Thai health insurance..?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DigitalGypsy, 1 Jun 2015.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi,

Due to the minefield of health risks and daily hazards I'm exposed to here in Thailand I've decided to pay a little more and get private health insurance in case I fall foul to a serious accident (touch wood!). To date I've just relied on the default 60k-limit package which comes with the job, and thankfully have never required anything more).

I've looked at Bupa but their rates are quite high, my lowest quote was 28k per annum. I then stumbled across these guys: Thailife - Thai Health Insurance Public Company Limited.

Does anybody have any experience with them or has anyone heard any bad reports about them?
    They appear to offer quite good packages with many options falling under the 10k per year price.

Any suggestions? Or should I take the risk? - All advice gratefully received and appreciated!! :thumbs up

shorty0431 likes this.
  2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Are you simply talking about in-patient and accident cover or full cover (outpatient cover for those minor illnesses)?
    DEPENDING ON YOUR AGE something like BUPA Emerald only costs about 15k/year for in-patient and accident cover (up to 1 million baht).
    Crystal runs to 11k (@age 35) runs 11k but only provides cover in Thailand. 15k for inpatient and accident cover, 20k (age 55) with 30 Dr. visits (700 thb/visit) added.
    Bupa Health Insurance - Personal Accident Health Insurance - Crystal Plan

Most life insurance policies will also add medical cover for a small additional fee (10-20k) as well.

shorty0431 and DigitalGypsy like this.
  3. Tullkra

Tullkra Active Member

I'm not very good and understanding what all the info means but I've got a few friends and they like to use AIA. I've got AIA with the hotel that I work.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  4. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I use AIA too. But I'm still fairly young. The premiums are crazy at a later age.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  5. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I'm mid thirties, and in-patient and accident cover is all I'd really need I think...

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at both. The actual health insurance for Thailife was about 7.5k, but I was intending on taking out a second package with them along with the health package which covered loss of income: info available here. For about an extra 3k I would be able to claim 1000 baht a day for every day/night spent in a general hospital ward, and 2k a day for every day spent in intensive care (the former max 365 days, the latter max 15 days per annum) - which I thought was a pretty good deal.

shorty0431 likes this.
  6. colonol

colonol New Member

You need to look into what exactly is not covered. Some don't cover things like cancer so be careful. I went with a non Thai one.

7. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

Got Prudential and an English speaking contact. Forgot the small print. But it's a pretty solid package. PM me if you want to know more.