1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 5 Year Gold Card Issued thanks to TT

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by portnoy58, 30 Sep 2016.

1. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

In the midst of the farce of leaving my job in Thailand and not getting a job in China I learned today that I have been issued with a 5 year Teacher Licence. I now have a photograph of the licence. No doubt the old school wants to do a bit of bargaining before giving me it ... they like to play with my head. Anyhow this would not have been possible without joining the forum and starting on the TPK exam route; that was scrapped. So I decided to go the Nottingham PGCEi route from which I graduated in March this year. The school applied but never provided any information back and I had learned never to ask. Interestingly the validity is 1st July 2016 to 30 June 2021 so presumably the school has been sitting on it - not sure this might just be my incipient paranoia. So I learned today that it was issued. Is there an uptodate link with the KSP site to check these things. Whatever, thanks to Stamp and the others who are doing more to nurture foreign teacher talent in Thailand than the entire education system. Chokers!

professeur and sirchai like this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:bouncing

Congratulations!

:thai wai

Yes, there is. Follow the link below and enter your passport number, check 'teacher license' and click the left orange button. PM me if it doesn't work.

คุรุสภา

3. portnoy58

It's showing nothing when I put in my passport details; showing my last waiver but not the licence. Maybe it hasn't been update yet but I wouldn't know about timings.

4. Stamp

5. Stamp

Sorry, I meant either one. Not both at the same time.

6. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

It is really good. Congratulations! Portnoy58 and I did a lot of talking about China, but it did not work out. That move can be tough, and luck plays a role. If anyone is set on moving north, I will help you as much as I can.

Sabaii dee

Last edited: 30 Sep 2016
    Stamp and sirchai like this.
  7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Congratulations from Sisaket.

portnoy58 likes this.
  8. sirchai

Sorry, wrote in your field? Must be the 8 hours writing my Edmodo stuff. And now is the webpage down. Harr harr...

portnoy58 likes this.
  9. sirchai

Sabai dee,

When will you be back? After the first million bucks on your bank? i really thought you'd like Dieland.

portnoy58 likes this.
  10. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

It will be a couple years before I come back to work in Isaan, especially since I just posted an article about the big crime family in Nakhon Phanom.

I see from your pics that you are having fun in Thailand, that is really nice to see.

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

The ones with the bikes was before my "artificial knee joint". Told my wife already that she can sell it if...

The bike photos are about 6 years old when I was a little younger, now I'm a biker less biker with my colors in the wardrobe. ( cry)

12. portnoy58

I love living here Sirchai. I really didn't like working here, not in the education system at any rate. Perhaps that is down to being a Catholic and working in a Catholic managed school. Now I have a gold card maybe I'll stay and get a new job somewhere else.

13. sirchai

I'm pretty sure that many doors are wide open for you now.

No hassle with the damn Immigration and DoL. I'm looking forward to mine by the end of this year, but being 56 isn't what some schools want. i hired teachers for three schools i worked at and know what they want.

Please never forget to say no., My current school, which I totally hate, offered me less than I already had and it was a great school. I was already around the corner when the weird head teacher called me and told me that I should come back ,the director wants me.

I was stupid enough and turned around, even having a strange feeling in my stomach and no time to resign at my former school.

I only signed the contract because I was listening to a guy i thought was my friend. But it turned out that he's just a beer drinking buddy from the States who lies about all and everything.

If they ask you how much you want, be very polite and change the topic. The reason for is that they might be willing to pay 45 K and once you said 37, it's over.

Please see the tests I've posted, coming from a 47 year old Asian teacher with a teacher's license.

She always speaks in present tense, even when it's about something that happened 30 years ago. She doesn't know that her speech is totally wrong, mispronounces mostly all and now started to badmouth her colleague from the same country.

She was on a very long overstay, knew it, but didn't do anything to get her work permit cancelled. She's teaching grade one in the EP now and you won't find a child who can answer the question: " How old are you?" She speaks 95 % Thai with them and she makes me furious.

They all say: "I'm fine thank you and you?" I posted the job at ajarn but couldn't be part of the guys who make the decision. A much younger and way better educated one didn't get the job. The current one has 24 K which is in my eyes way too much for somebody who can't even make a Slideshow.

The test alone is a good example why some of us are making a little bit more money and sorry if you can't even write a proper test for grade six, then please look for another job.

14. portnoy58

Sirchai I readily identify with a lot of the frustrations you express here but just FYI - I am 58, I was earning over 50k when I jacked my job in here and I am very happily married to a Filipino teacher. I had to deal recently with a recruiter in China who insinuated that I must be a pervert by virtue of this age, living in Thailand for eight years and expressing a preference on the basis of past experience for working with upper primary students - it's so obvious right?!!!

I do not worry about my age. When people see me operate in a classroom they soon forget about my age too. I think my body and brain well tell when to pack it in. My students gave me the greatest testimonial I could ever receive when I quit recently and which makes me think there is life in the old dog yet - after I announced I was going, I was walking into classrooms on my final day where the kids had covered the boards with personal messages, gave me cards, photographs, selfies, a fair few tears, even speeches were being made to thank me and wish me well, I was getting hugs, most unusual - this after the school attempted to fire me on the last day of July after I had given notice; (I suspect they wanted it to appear I was leaving under a cloud.) My students really made it for me and it left me with the nicest possible feeling - these are 10 -12 year old kids, as I have already said I am 58, culturally and virtually every other way you can think about we're massively different, but the students showed me respect and expressed gratitude. That is something that the adults in the school have rarely done; a few did express sadness at seeing me go because they said I was a good teacher. So it felt good to leave, (it feels even better six weeks later regardless of the farce of trying to get a job in China !) but the memory of the kids saying thanks and good luck, well that is what lingers.

I feel for the Filipinos. They are worked to death teaching 27/28 periods a week for a pittance, though probably significantly more than they could ever hope to earn back home. On this last Friday of term they were held back for an 'emergency' meeting about something non-urgent and they were told earlier in the week that they would be required to attend work on the first Monday of their holiday.... after slogging their guts out since the beginning of May. That's the system isn't it - abusive and disrespectful, it's perfectly acceptable to steal teachers' time, no real sense, is there, that education must be based on some sort of positive value system beyond the dictates of neoliberalism ....?

Teaching is a blast, isn't it?! Could you imagine working in a school where the management supported teaching, not even teachers, but just teaching? Take it easy and if you're having a break, get a rest, forget it all ... the students need you!

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

My sincere congratulations Portnoy on your achievement.