1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And they say Thai Education is bad LOL

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Makaveli, 4 Jan 2017.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Thread Starter aka 2Pac Staff Member

Friendships can be tested in the strangest of ways, but two young women found theirs pushed to breaking point when they appeared on TV quiz show Pointless.

Sarah, a student at the University of York who admits she studied Geography at A Level, was asked to name a country with two consonants at the end of its name.

Fair enough, Sarah, your mind can go blank when you're on national television and under immense pressure.

We'll hand it to you, we couldn't think of any countries at first either.

But once you realise anything with 'land' at the end has two consonants, you're spoiled for choice. Scotland, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, New Zealand, Poland - the list goes on.

And then there's Germany and Denmark if you're feeling extra clever.

But if you really can't think of any, just name any country at all.

What you don't want to do is name a city, like Sarah, who said "Paris" (which doesn't even end in two consonants) - and her mate's face said it all.

Friendship destroyed on Pointless as contestant gives worst answer of all time - and her mate is raging - Mirror Online

Stamp likes this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

My favourite Thai incident ...walked into the staffroom as a conversation was in swing. The P3 social studies teacher, who also teaches geography in this subject, was telling her colleagues that "Wales is the capital of England" with nodding agreement from the other teachers. I did the right thing and said nothing so as she wouldn't lose face, but I had to exit quickly to have a right good laugh.

Sure Welsh folk would like that to be the case eh.

But yes Makka I see your point too ....not just Thailand eh.

sirchai likes this.
  3. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Post 1: Deer-in-the-headlights blank mind
    Post 2: Plain ol' unhindered ignorance parading as fact

False equivalence alert! :smiling

4. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Can't be easy being on a game show and being put under the spotlight.
    Especially if you're a dumbass. :hilarious