1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Exercise: the Simple Past vs Simple Present Perfect

Discussion in 'English Language' started by DavidUSA, 8 Dec 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Criticism is welcome.

How can it be improved?

It is an exercise in distinguishing the use of the simple past from that of the simple present perfect.

Attached Files:

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

See my suggestion in your prep phrases thread: this stuff is already available in quantity locally...a more imaginative approach is to incorporate the Ss' lives and experiences into your grammar lessons: relevance is the key to reducing the torture of classroom boredom.

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. JimB

JimB Member

Nice pdf summary. When I present tense, I also add a timeline. It's a visual explanation of the context. It's almost impossible to distinguish between contexts without one. A break down of form is also important. I explain that this is the formula you use to construct language to describe this idea (point to timeline). Then, add examples. In the corner of the board will also be any 'sounds' connected to that tense - final -ed in past simple regular verbs, contractions of subject plus 'have' and 'has' in present perfect for example .

DavidUSA likes this.
  4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Spot on. That is what I need to add.