1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agency Experience??

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Templeton, 12 Oct 2016.

1. Templeton

Templeton Thread Starter Member

just wondering if anyone has experience with any teaching agencies. I am currently looking at ETC EDUCATION....any thoughts?

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Perhaps admin a move to a more relevant forum room?

3. Templeton

Which room should I have posted in?

4. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

I can recommend ETC. Did some cover work for them 1 year in Hua Hin (I probably posted about it here).

..and also because my wife is the owner. The schools are all pretty nice (as far as i know) and you do get a lot of support (and backup) from the agency but the pay is typically Thailand.

5. Templeton

Thanks for the info. I live in Pranburi so Hua Hin to Pak Nam is ideal. In this area the pay varies from 30/35 if someone knows of higher wages feel free to let me know but the cost of living isn't like BKK either.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Perhaps, the staffroom?

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

You've just received a real positive answer and the next you're asking is about other agencies that pay more?

8. Templeton

No. if I were asking another question you would have seen a question mark at the end of my sentence. I simply made a statement of my knowledge about the pay rate in the area I live. What I did do is invite people to correct me if I'm mistaken or if they know of schools in the area that pay more than what I am aware of. But thanks for your input.

SageAdvice and NODIIT like this.
  9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I think that's the salary range in Hua Hin and Pranburi area. In the area of amphur mueang Prachuab Khiri Khan it's a bit lower. Going north to Phetchaburi, it might be slightly higher when working for English Programs.

10. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

It's the whole package. Will there be opportunities outside the school? Larger towns have many language centers and once I managed to earn enought in those to pay the rent, the bike and eat out a lot.

Then there are the lesson plans. A personal pet peave of mine. When one has >20 different lessons, working for some MEP, this would be a deal killer for me at 40 k. (I never made more than 30 k).

11. sirchai

Just a few words about the others, the Global education and the EiWai See one.

I've just met a guy who works for Global and the 10 months salary doesn't sound good to me. 30 K isn't a lot..

The other one was okay 10 years ago when they paid 10 K for November and April. And the name of the school was in the contract.

No idea about their contracts now, but I can message you the e-mail address of the guy who hires.

Best to talk to the guy who does the hiring and ask him certain questions you want to know before you travel around.

A good start tomorrow/

macos11 likes this.
  12. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend text and talk in Bkk. They have good government schools, proper wages and also opportunities for extra work.

13. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Some teachers from my previous school in BKK came from there. They weren't quite as glowing as you, something about teacher support. I don't know how T&T feels about teachers who have TEFL certs other than their own.

I'm surprised that BFITS hasn't been mentioned. Their new location isn't as convenient as their old one near a BTS station. They paid on time and there was a representative at the school.

I think it was English First who offered me a choice of positions. Nothing fancy, but I was already an old fart and grateful for what I could get. I declined for a chance to work in the north.

Defamation laws prohibit posters from trashing agencies. I can say that some teachers at one school worked for an agency run by a former student. I had a much better deal as a direct hire, and it didn't sound like they were always being paid on time.

14. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

I've worked for two of the "better" agencies in Bangkok and found them wholly lacking.

I will never, ever work for an agency again in Thailand. If I go to China, I may be forced to.

Do not work for an agency that believes it should or actually does have any part in the educational process. Limited to recruiting and retaining only. Can't stress this enough, especially agency produced materials and appointed managers. Run.

15. sirchai

I think it should be mentioned that some people who call themselves agents are only there to rip people off.

Never pay money to anybody to get a job. There are contracts with schools where some "agents" receive almost half of the monthly salary. Others keep a few months wages and disappear/

It seems that working for the two biggest ones ( already mentioned ) is the best option when you only want to teach a year to get some experience.

But for long stayers, an agency should never be an option, there are too many schools that are trying to find foreign teachers but don't know how to post a free add at ajarn.com.

Very sad is that many school directors are trying to copy such insanity to give foreigners a 10 months contract, usually those schools that had an agency before.