1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Limit for Teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by DavidUSA, 9 Feb 2017.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

I know this topic has been dealt with before, but I cannot find the thread. As the rules stand now, what is the age limit for teaching in Thailand? What is it that limits the age at which one can teach? Is it the work permit, the Non-B visa, neither, or both?

I know the rules can change at any moment, but I want to be aware of what the rules are now.

Danke.

2. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I believe it is 60 because schools can't/won't get insurance for said oldie, however I know of guys 65+ at (desperate) Sarasas schools not on wps.

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

A foreign teacher that I know him in person is 71 years old (he plans to work as a teacher for one more year - he said).
    Works at a government school and he has WP, proper visa and Provisional Teaching License (4th waiver).

DavidUSA likes this.
  4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yes I believe as Tony says 60 but this in the real world is flexible at some schools.

We have one teacher at our school who is 78 and legal with his full TL ....never asked him though about WP (I guess so but not sure) ...he does however have a residency permit too which I am led to believe makes life easier all round.

Me, I wanna be done and dusted with edutainment before my bell stikes 60.

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I plan on pushing the envelope. I'll try and renew my license when I'm 64. That would result in KSP authorizing me to work until I was in between 69 & 70.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Experience I am sure will be rewarded

7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

DavidUSA likes this.
  8. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

OP, it depends in which province a foreigner is working. A nice guy in his seventies who taught at a village school was more than happy to get paid for his hobby.

We always met each other at speech and other competitions and the village school where he was employed, was more than happy to have him.

We always had a nice chat and I felt very sorry when they finally said no.

Unfortunately, did the DoL in Ubon R. not renew his work permit when he's 73, or 75.

Yep, once you made the 60 mark they don't let you go into the SS insurance, which is a pain in the a..e.

But I think some provinces let you work much longer than the age of 60 and even allow you to continue with your SS.

Same country, same laws, but different rules all over this country. Same same, but different? :go10

9. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Correct. You've guessed it right.

10. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

After looking over all the posts in that thread, I take it that we are good until 60 years of age. At some point after that, insurance is going to become an issue. Some teachers may be able to continue working as long as they wish--if they are liked and needed.

In my case, if I want to teach again at a school in the LOS, I ought to come back to Thailand and get a job before I am 60. Lastly, there are no solid rules, which is not a surprise. But that can work in our favor.

Sabaii Dee

11. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Yes, 60.

I have known teachers following ages now employed at: 61, 62 and 68. All govt schools with decent reputations. The two have been at the school a long time. The 68 yo just this last year changed schools.

I think it's possible to work, question is where?

I'm also certain for hot jobs employability goes way down after 60 going against teachers much younger. Again, you might miss out on the better schools and opportunities.

I think a huge trick to all this is having solid paperwork and good schools behind you. Good paperwork puts TCT in a position of saying no based on some bs rule that they even know is bs.

Especially the two school rule is totally backward.

The two school rule only serves shitty schools to keep you in place. If they had a six year unlimited school rule it would force schools to make an effort to keep teachers. Schools would get better, they could also become more selective themselves.

12. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

There are no formal rules for the retirement age of foreign teachers.
    The current policy in regards to the retirement age of government official and OBEC teachers for that matter.

However, I've seen retired OBEC teachers starting to teach in universities after they retired at the age of 60. Note that there's a motion going on in the Thai government to raise the retirement age for government teachers to the age of 65. It's not a matter whether this will happen or not. It's about when!

My colleague in our government secondary school is a British female, almost 66 years old, with work permit and extension of stay as educational personnel as she doesn't hold a degree.
    When working for a government school you can only enroll in the SSO before the age of 60 but will stay in the plan until you retire.
    That would be great considering the SSO rules.

DavidUSA likes this.
  13. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

Yes, I've known a few Thai teachers retired and returned. They look haggard despite holding top admin positions as well.

Yeah, I doubt it's a school thing. More like the national cut off for cheap insurance is 60 so defacto age becomes 60. My hunch is after they sort out the insurance they might be more apt to hire more +60.

We had many older guys working at my last school. Maybe half were +55. So about 8?

14. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Jeez..I hope I'm not in that situation in 25 years.

15. qwerty

qwerty New Member

I recently turned 60. My work permit was renewed a few days ago and the school says that they will keep me until I am 65, which matches my own plans, as it happens.:thumbs up

Stamp likes this.