1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Advice on TEFL Course

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by I_heart_Thailand, 18 Feb 2017.

1. I_heart_Thailand

I_heart_Thailand Thread Starter New Member

Bril
    ah right ok, thanks for the help I will be sure to look into this also. Many thanks

2. I_heart_Thailand

I_heart_Thailand Thread Starter New Member

Oh ok, thank you for pointing that out. There is lots of mixed information on some forums and sites and can be misleading. Many thanks for all the help.

3. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

The 3rd rate degree mills are the ones I had in mind.

I don't care who sanctions it, I'd still pay attention to the number of practice teaching hours.

4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Again, I bring this back to being accurate and on-topic.
    An on-line degree while working in Thailand as a teacher means illegal work.
    Any other degree option (since the OP does NOT have a degree) means waiting for 4 years or working illegally.

OP: Stay home. Put in your 3 years and get a BA.

AFTER you have it and coupled with your UK passport you have the option of working LEGALLY as a teacher in about 120 countries.
    With a B.ED that goes up to virtually 200.
    Without a degree the only options left are sub-Saharan Africa or Central / South America.

While the TEFL cert is nice to have it is NOT a requirement in most countries (notable big market exceptions are Europe, China, the Middle East and Vietnam. Don't let the sellers of dreams (re: Teaching and Traveling) con you out of your money. Without the degree the TEFL means nothing. The degree is the immigration requirement in 90% of the EFL markets today.

Don't waste your money on those on-line courses (unless you enroll in the OU). At the end of the day, no serious employer and most immigration services in most countries won't accept them anyway (meaning wasted time, money and still unemployable).

AFTER you have your degree then a blended post grad course in teaching would be fine.

portnoy58, sirchai and bahn_farang like this.