1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Advice on TEFL Course

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by I_heart_Thailand, 18 Feb 2017.

1. I_heart_Thailand

I_heart_Thailand Thread Starter New Member

Hi All, Newbie to the site so please be gentle. I have tried searching for the answer to my question with not much luck so unfortunately I will have to ask if I may. I'm a 33 year old male English Native with with no previous teaching but high ambitions to come and study the BA in BKK Degree in Bangkok this year. I have been to Thailand 4 times so have a good understanding of their way of living and culture. I would like to gain the TEFL certificate before I start the degree but Would people recommend doing it at home for a lot cheaper but 80% online or is it worth paying 4/5x extra and doing it all classed based in Thailand? I was hoping after some ghosting of teaching, gaining the tefl, early years course and having a semester under my belt to then if possible start looking for full time teaching whilst studying. I'm aware the money won't be as good whilst studying for the degree but being able to live and treat myself
    The odd time and gaining the experience is of more importance to me. My aim is to knuckle down study, teach and guide my young students. My personal learning, gaining the correct qualifications and reflecting that teaching to my students is my goals. Any help/advice/dangers/experiences would be great.
    I am not a backpacker, I don't intend to run off half way through, gaining a quick buck teaching is not priority. I'm serious about a career change and will have great satisfaction teaching the youngsters of Thailand as appose to looking at an oil rig at sea at the moment. Apologies for the long winded message ha. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Feb 2017
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

You don't have to worry about that here.

I would shy away from online courses. One exception would be a variant of the CELTA which has online components. Long ago, I heard it was available at the British Council in Kuala Lumpur. That would fit into your plans. You could do it in KL and then catch a cheap flight to Bangkok.

You will almost certainly save money doing a certificate in SE Asia instead of N. America. If you know Kim Jong-Un, you might save big bucks doing it in N. Korea.

If there is even a scintilla of a snowball's chance in hell of your teaching outside of Thailand someday, I would think CELTA. I suggest that you look at the pre-tasks from different providers [eg, ECC (Thailand) and International House and The British Council] before choosing one.

If you choose another certificate, again, look at pre-tasks and other details. If there is no pre-task, I'd be concerned. If the application consists of filling in your credit card info, I'd be concerned. If one provider offers a "diploma" for thousands of dollars that takes months to do and has entrance requirements, and another is a one-day seminar for a handful of dollars and has no entry requirements other than your money; I'd wonder why this is.

Monkeys.jpg

Are you sure about that?

Last edited: 18 Feb 2017
    sirchai likes this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I recommend doing a degree at home. Working directly for basic education schools (K12) in Thailand, a university degree is mandatory. Enforcement of this rule is done by both Immigration and Labour.

This course doesn't seem to have a good reputation.

A TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certificate is not a requirement for teaching in Thailand but it helps you a lot when standing in front of the Thai classroom. Best to do it in Thailand F2F.

4. I_heart_Thailand

Hi Gungchang, Thank you for your reply. I did look Into CELTA through ECC also which looked quite good and worthy of price. Thank you for your advice.

5. I_heart_Thailand

Hi STAMP, Completing a degree at home is very expensive and due to needing a higher grade on a pre requisite subject I would need to take another year to do so before starting a degree. I have looked into the BA in BKK Degree studying in Bangkok and didn't come across any negative comments so far, will certainly look into this further. I understand tefl is not needed as such but for personal development and due to my lack of experience/knowledge teaching I feel it would be of benefit. Thank you for your advice here.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Welcome,
    would absolutely disagree with you. An on line course from a respected university is just as if not more respected than a bums on seat course from a third rate (if that) university.

7. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Let us all be clear here.
    A BA in BKK or a TESOL/TEFL cert are 2 different animals.

If the OP has a degree (in anything - the original post didn't say if he had a degree or not) then pretty much any cheap, 30-day TEFL cert is adequate to overkill for work in your average Thai classroom and will cost about 30k baht (700 quid) if done here.

If the OP does not have a degree then a BA in BKK takes 4 years to complete and the one offered in Thailand will require him to to work illegally on an EDU visa during his 4-year study period. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

if the OP has a degree then grab a 30-day TEFL/TESOL course on the beach and enjoy your time on the course. CELTA is certainly far more intensive and expensive than needed to begin as a NES teacher in Thailand and may be an option further down the road but a post grad cert in teaching (PGCE / PGCEi / Dip.Ed, etc) will serve you better.

If you don't have a degree then stay home and get one. A UK degree in just about any subject will open doors globally.
    A BA in BKK from a dodgy Thai College will get you nowhere in the real world after you leave Thailand.

Mister T and bahn_farang like this.
  8. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So not enough A levels or none I take it. Do you have any qualifications seeings you work on oil rigs? ....I guess you do.
    I myself in my 30's left blighty for Thailand but before I came I did a BA degree in England ....no A levels (left skool at 16) ...gained a good placement at a red brick university on the strength of engineering city & guilds (now NVQ) and a couple of odd college courses. Try applying and you may be surprised.If still no go then suck up the year before. As to expensive not really, you can get your loans, you can work part time, and have one of the best experiences of your life going to a UK uni in your 30's .... I certainly did.

Why would I give you this advice? What's the hurry? Do it right as you have every opportunity to do so in blighty. If you have your heart set on becoming a teacher go for a B Ed and that will then get you your full teachers license off the plane (after a culture course done here, mandatory for the full licence too, easy over one weekend) and a pick of some better jobs hopefully. Want to become an international school teacher earning bigger bucks, then continue and do a PGCE followed by 2 years QTS in England.

Do all this and you are well set for a happy future here ...as opposed to working on the fly doing a mickey mouse degree which ttompatz has summed up fine above.

Up to you, you have some views offered ....oh and welcome to Thailand Teaching.
    :welcome2

Take a good look around in this forum of qualifications and courses for more ideas, and Thai culture course info on other forums such as TCT, plus Work Permits etc. as to all the rules and regs and more.

9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:yes

10. I_heart_Thailand

I do not currently hold a degree or A Levels, I left school with C-D GCSE Grades. As my initial thoughts were to hopefully live in Thailand for good, I saw the BA in BKK Degree as a good option (on the face of it) in achieving this with no plan about teaching back in England. I was however unaware of the visa permits for working/Studying which I have now looked into further. As my ambition s are to live in Thailand and teach I am exploring all options (legally) to achieve this, although I am eager to do so, I am also a realist and understand that doing things correctly will take time and effort for a better outcome on my goals. So with that said, yes I could hopefully go to uni in England and gain a degree after 4 years but living off loans and part time wages worries me for that amount of time as i have rent/bills etc to pay for. Another option I saw was an open university BA degree online in early years teaching. So my question now would be in your opinion, could I gain the TEFL, Early years certification, backed with some ghosting of classes/teaching and get employment whilst still studying the online degree? I read that I could do this legally upto 2 years on a temporary teachers license? Would this be correct? I would then still be studying an official degree back home but gaining valuable experience by learning to teach in Thailand along the way. I'd like to reiterate that this is not my intentions, these are merely early stage possibilities that I am exploring and appreciate all comments and advice, positive or constructive. Many thanks.

11. Stamp

Several posts have been edited. Please refrain of naming a certain course in Bangkok.

12. I_heart_Thailand

Oh apologies for that STAMP, New to all this.

Stamp likes this.
  13. Stamp

No problems.

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yes it can be a worry but it is doable and in the long run (yer only 33) you will be better off for it... I guess you realise that by your comments.

No. Without a degree in the first place then you will have a hard time obtaining a 2 year 'waiver' from the TCT as having a degree in any subject is a basic requirement to teach in basic education ... have a read in TCT. Without the waiver no work permit ...no work permit then you are working illegally. Yes there are some teachers without a degree who do have a WP but options are limited ...yes we have had discussions here on TT also so have a dig around.

Not your fault but 'that degree' option is no longer discussed on TT due to 'various reasons' a few years ago ...so my apologies for the moderation of several posts Mr. Heart and other posters.

sirchai likes this.
  15. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

OP, if you really want to get into teaching in Thailand now there are some more opportunities for you.

A university from the Philippines is offering a BA in education where you'll only have to attend on one day each month for a face to face lesson. It will take 3 to 4 years to complete the course.

Others here might be more knowledgeable.

Some members here, including me, have upgraded their existing degree with a Diploma in teacher education.

I do not know if an enrollment letter from the institution would be enough to get you a work permit. But you could have a look at their offered courses and get in touch with them.

Please see various threads about the "Ifugao Diploma", the institution offers a BA in education for an affordable price.

Please see:

Enrollment - St. Robert's Group of Companies

Attached Files:

Last edited: 18 Feb 2017