1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on negotiating with Thai people.

Discussion in 'Residing in Thailand' started by bahn_farang, 17 Jan 2017.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sorry, we are reading this again and I missed it. Thai is the answer, but on talking to various people and the advice of this thread, it has been decided that it is best coming from my wife.

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

A disagreement can easily happen within a conversation. But that's in no way negative.

Keep on smiling and don't give up. Life's good. Stay positive, please.

3. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

There is an old business adage, the first person that speaks loses.

Let them play each hand, you react.

People dislike quiet, it makes them nervous. People will speak to fill the vacuum of silence.

Drive the negotiating passively.

Thai are not good negotiators so on their end I imagine it's take it or leave it IF they are controlling your destiny. If it is shared, you can negotiate a better deal.

Try to always see what you are offering and write down and then express short, simple points as to why your angle is of benefit to them.

Force them to speak first.
    Outline the benefits of your position for them.

Good luck

PS don't pay any taxes on property. They are selling it, it's their land. Their problem.

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

The French would not agree with you.

I am curious. Is this sentence correct: "Thai are not good negotiators". The adjective "Thai" does not also represent Thai people as a group, correct? I would say, "Thais" or "Thai people". Japanese and Chinese, yes. But Thai? Or is there a difference between American English and British English here?

Chinese are not good rappers. OK............. a good sentence
    Thai are not good ballet dancers. Not OK ............ Right?
    Thai people are not good ballet dancers. OK.... a good sentence

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

So at 1:30 pm My wife and I accompanied by some big style back up went to have the meeting. I can say that if those people had not gone with us, we would have been completely buggered.

The mediating body was fair and I believe that there is a possible win win situation for both us and the other party. It has yet to be put down on paper so at the moment nothing has changed. We got I would say 75% of what we wanted, they got 25% and they have a potential opportunity to make money from it too. Truth be told I was kind of hoping for 100% but the solution is more than acceptable.

My wife and I are extremely grateful for the advice.

sirchai, Stamp and Hey_ewe like this.