1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Dialogue: In the Clinic

Discussion in 'English Language' started by DavidUSA, 8 Dec 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Suggestions? Improvements?

Attached Files:

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Just a question: what is your language focus?

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. DavidUSA

It is a review lesson for the imperative and the new part is how + much/many/adv; the point is also to try and get the tenses right: simple past, present perfect, and past continuous.

But I see your point: it is long and wandering and not as focused as it could be, but I did that on purpose, which could have been a mistake.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2016
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

The part when Ann is asking: " How many pills should he take a day?" "He should take....but then the nurse talks to the patient directly.

Have a great time. Cheers.

Attached Files:

DavidUSA likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

Danke. That was very helpful. I will make changes based on what you said.

6. DavidUSA

I added your suggestions.

Which do you think is better: at the clinic or in the clinic?

Attached Files:

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Hi David,

I named the file "just an opinion" and I think that others should jump in and put their 5 baht, Yen, or bucks in.

It should be "At the clinic" as the title.

For the doctor asking about the pain: Are you in a lot of pain, or Are you experiencing a lot of discomfort/ pain? might be a better question.

The guy has an insurance policy, so if I were the guy that wouldn't be my first concern, being covered.

Doctors usually prescribe Antibiotics, just in case if a bacterium is causing an infection. And it's very easy to get one, because we all have the so-called Staphylococcus Aureus on our skin.

Once in a wound it can get nasty and I was in such a situation when the whole department of one of the best bone surgery hospitals in Germany was bacteria diseased and I almost lost my leg because of a bacterial infection. That’s the least, a doctor wants.

Asking the patient about an eventual tetanus booster might be a great question. And a question regarding the students' tetanus status would be appropriate.

I think your question is a very difficult one. Ask 5 people and you'll get 20 different "opinions".

Kind regards to you and to the "yellow people".

Cheers- :go10

DavidUSA likes this.
  8. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

one of those things dave, where the simplicity of the language you used within the sentence reflects a basic structure, but the wall of text in the dialogue (its long) reflects a higher level. also, there doesnt seem to be anything focused on, language wise, as per the lesson.

so, it's an over simplistic use of language mixed with a dense amount of information.

my advice:
    1. pare down the text to 4-6 lines max.
    2. focus on some aspect of language like reductions of language like "we were not" --> "we weren't" ---or--- "it doesnt hurt that bad." (using 'that' as an emphasis...which is common)

dialogues can be useful when short and having specific focus on language and language acts. this is long and as such, seems to have a jumble of things to work on, which can be daunting.

the comprehension questions are a good addition. those are useful. but then again, are you using those answers (student answers) in a useful way? are you asking them to answer in full sentences and working on their own language...and how does that reflect the language used in the dialogue?

aka- are you getting students to replicate any of this dialogue? if so, what aspects will they be trying on their own?

you also had vocabulary. my take on it, as shown here, is that we can learn vocabulary, but without noticing how those words play out in sentences and also in use (meaning) they tend to be forgotten in short order.

my 2 cents: pare it down and try for a more natural language:

a: My friend got hurt on a motorbike.
    b: Oh no! Im so sorry to hear that.
    a: Yeah. its really bad. he hurt his back.
    b: How bad is he hurt?
    a: He's going to have to spend 3 weeks in the hospital.
    b: Oh thats horrible. Are you going to visit him?

look at the language used:
    1. "got hurt" vs "was hurt" -looking at a colloquial term here, which is similar to "got hit" "got arrested"
    2. adverb+adjective combos: really bad
    3. How bad? How badly? - conversational speech vs grammar rules- pragmatics
    4. Going to - future sentences. here we have 'going to have to" and in the last one "going to visit" - why are these different? talk about "gonna have to X" vs "going to do X" --whats different and how are they used differently?

Dialogues are good opportunities to look at actual speech in use. The good news is that we are experts (mostly lol) on this. what we bring to the table is the ability to summon real language. work that power! It can be awkward to teach this, but in the context of comparing real use to grammatically correct use can be illuminating and as such, contrastive topics in the classroom are a good window into both structure and use. aka- asking them whats going on...and why do we even have both of these?

i think (and my opinions do evolve) that dialogues are some of the best windows to colloquial speech we have. it's ok to learn everyday english, but its also necessary to point out that many learners will end up needing to know the more formal style used in writing as their primary 'voice' in english.

so in short, my advice is to keep it short and dense with both structure and use. let the vocabulary sort itself out in other activities. if you wanted to add extra words for them to focus on, make the same dialogue differently and have them sort out the new words:

a: My friend got in a wreck on his chopper.
    b: My dear how's he faring?
    a: He in quite a state.
    b: Was he injured badly?
    a: He'll be bedridden for weeks on end.
    b: How awful. Will you pay him a visit?

---here the dialogue is the same, but with new words. dialogue 2.0 now can turn to vocabulary and can also deal with language in use as well as some new grammars like "weeks on end" ....or "pay him a visit"

the point is that instead of a list of words, here they are comparing two sets of words and seeing how they are different. what is different. some mean the same..."are you going to visit?"...."Will you pay him a visit?" <--here the vocabulary to focus on jumps out at the students. they are given something to chew on, and having read the first dialogue, now have some context to associate and ground the new words with.

---------
    Good luck Dave :-)

DavidUSA likes this.
  9. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

...and, I would add, tighten focus to include realistic situations relevant to Ss lives: 1) at the school cafeteria 2) on the way to school 3) my uniform 4) my favorite football team 5) TV programs 6) my favorite song...stuff like that...increasing interest in the topic as well as the content.

stfranalum and DavidUSA like this.
  10. DavidUSA

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. Back to the drawing board.