1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A BS experience extending the Immigration permission of stay

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by DigitalGypsy, 19 Apr 2015.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hey,

Just thought I'd share my recent experience getting my visa extension (post-permit success) at my immigration office.

So, let me briefly explain:
    -started first job 2 years ago, got first WP (no issues), but at the end of the academic year the fckwit Director sold the entire English department down the river for a manilla envelope passed discreetly under a table. Thus, first work permit was wiped out.

Take 2:
    -second job, second work permit. Completed academic year, all good, school happy with performance so got the go ahead to renew the second work permit, which means both waivers used in total.

I then go to the immigration office, all documents completed by the school, checked, stamped, signed, necessary copies etc. Out of nowhere a load of head-shaking, talking in Thai to colleagues, whispering, shuffling of papers etc etc. I then get told that I need documents that prove my address, I show them a receipt of payment (substantial university fees to a BKK uni) with my address on it. Not good enough. They then ask me to call my landlord, I do, but no answer. They then tell me to come back the next day (which subsequently was a week later after Songkran and a day over my visa date...), and bring with me a copy of a rent receipt, my landlord's ID card (signed), a copy of the rent book (signed), and a copy of my rental contract (signed also).

Tail between my legs I return home (100 kms away..), get all the necessary documents and go the following week. More of the same nonsense, head-shaking, and hand waving. I called my school, who then spoke to the immigration dept., my school then explained that they wouldn't accept the docs but nobody could explain to me why.

I then return to my school, and my Director approaches me with a bundle of documents on school-headed paper, stamps and signatures etc., and tells me to return again to immigration and hide all previous documents. She tells me to state that I now live on school premises (..?..) and to only provide the documents that she gave me. I followed all of these instructions and all went fine, smiles, an exchange of pleasantries and I was on my way with my extended visa (I forgot to add that I had already received my work permit extension/renewal before the first attempt to extend my visa).

So, to clarify:

-For the first time ever immigration requested a number of documents related to my address, even tho I was renewing a work permit at the same school and not applying for a new one.

-They refused to extend my visa twice, and on the second ocassion I provided them with the exact and correct documents which they stated I was lacking the first time around.

-I then return to the very same people with 'official ...ahem..' documents incorrectly stating that I'm living at my school, which I'm not.... AND!! ta-dah!! - these get accepted like I'd found the golden ticket for Charlie's Chocolate Factory....! And, unbelievably, nobody questions why I was there a number of times previously, stating that I was living elsewhere...

In total, 3 visits to the immigration office (180km round trip x3).

W.T.F. ? - anybody got any ideas? I followed the proper and correct procedures and outcome = rejection. I play by 'Thai rules' and wha-da-ya-know, I get a smile, pat on the back, and my documents handed to me in a scented envelope on a silver platter.

I give up.

(P.S. I have no overstays, never had any issues with any individual or institution, have a good degree, excellent references, police checks, and I'm currently studying an M.Ed in a BKK uni - is there no end to the dance of the damned here....?).

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

If I read it correctly, you had a BS experience with extending your permission of stay.

Notification of Residence is a law that exists since 1979 but was until recently never enforced. It's reported that some Immigration Offices are catching up with the law when foreigners are extending their permission of stay. In our region which also includes a famous beach town, this requirement hasn't been enforced, at least for foreign teachers. Got my 2.6 extension on 27 March 2015 without the Residence Notification. My two foreign colleagues, second year at our school, didn't have problems either.

A first report on this was in January 2015.

Non- B extension - Proof of address?

3. Stamp

Immigration Bureau

4. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Ah! Yes, you would be correct - my apologies. My work permit renewal went fine, it was the subsequent visa extension that was a nightmare.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of anything about that.

I'm still confused about why they rejected the correct documents on the second visit however...

5. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

It is not official if it does not come from the school. Everything must have stamps and logos.

6. Stamp

Fixed.

Visit us more often. :happy1:

7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I'll be going to immigration to get a three week or 30 day or whatever extension.

My visa is up on April 30, but the school is cutting a couple of us loose on April 20 and canceling the work permits. I have an O visa and the other teacher has a B. Both visas were extended to about one year using the work permits.

Last time I stopped a work permit early 17 years ago, my visa expiry date stayed the same. I'm assuming the worst this time, that my visa will now stop on April 20. I'd best try to get an extra couple of weeks to tide me over until we have our visas and a flight out of Thailand.

This is one of those rare instances where I'd prefer a step out and step back in jaunt to a border. S'ket might have been nice. I'm just not sure if I'd be allowed back in to Thailand or not.

8. Stamp

To be to the letters of the law, a non-O visa or a non-B visa has a validity of 90 days and was acquired at a Thai Consulate or Embassy. I had one 11 years ago acquired in Vientiane, Laos. Since then it has been extended yearly based on employment as a teacher.

If your extension of the permission of stay is based on your work permit, you DON'T have an extension based on being a family member of a Thai national (marriage or child) Reason of Necessity 2.18 but an extension of stay based on employment as a teacher Reason of Necessity 2.6 (government) or 2.7 (private). You can verify this to have a look at your extension stamp in your passport.

If your extension is based on the latter, it'll expire on the date work will cease or the work permit will be returned.

9. newbie001

newbie001 New Member

I will go to Chaeng Wattana immigration tomorrow to get another 1 year extension. I hope this would not be the case for me as I don't have these documents.

I thought you can always use the work permit for proof of address, no?

10. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

At immigration, the other teacher that was with me told a story of a third teacher who turned up at the border without having had her visa shortened and was fined. There was also talk of a "certificate." What we had was a stamp in our passport with the new date (today). I passed on a seven-day extension for 1,900 baht.

It looks like I'm in for another visa run. *&^$^&(% Flying has the advantage of dodging the first day of overstay. Also, a border guard can't send me back and tell me to fly. And, by going to Singapore or Malaysia, I won't pay for a Lao or Khmer visa.

Mrs. Calabash has other details.

11. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I've got a letter from the local police station stating that I live at my current place of residence in Khon Kaen. Can I use that in stead? Or do I need a letter from immigration?

12. Stamp

If there is no Immigration Office in the province or close by, the certificate of residence can be done at the local police station. Guess this means it's valid too.

13. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. I did it some years ago. Now I've got to dig it up.