1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 NES teachers needed at Horwang Lad Prao

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by SundayJam, 20 Apr 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

And if those outstanding agencies wouldn't exist, the salary would be paid for 12 months.

Just doing the math it's more than half a million baht in one year. How do they handle the visa?

2. SundayJam

SundayJam Thread Starter Well-Known Member

We have no agencies at this school as of last year.

Any time the school has difficulty filling positions, I use it as leverage the following year to hurry up and get contracts signed for those returning teachers. This year, we lost 10 days of pay because of internal politics.

The pay is just okay, to be honest. I've told colleagues about this job and they just sniffed. They get paid more where they're at. One is getting 70k working as a homeroom teacher in Nakhon Nayok. I understand the international schools pay 120k.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

How does that work out with contracts, regarding visa and work permit if you don't have a 12 months contract? Leaving the country every year, or do they issue a 12 months contract with 11 months pay?

They adopted well from agencies.... The two biggest schools in Sisaket, one a primary, the other one a secondary school taken over by the well-known ABC company with the ability to make Russians to NES teachers.

No discrimination to Russian citizens, but they're much better in producing vodka, IMHO

4. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

He's already mentioned that contracts run from 1 Apr - 31 Mar but the school couldn't recruit teachers for an Apr start. So it will be an 11 month contract till Mar 31 then, if the contract is renewed, a 12 month contract; I assume.

Similar to my situation. I started at my present school at the end of Oct with the contract running until 30 Apr (6 months). Last month I renewed the WP / extension (no need to leave the country) starting 1 Mar, for 12 months. :smile

I suspect you're must better at drinking it... :smiling

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

Thanks for clarification. :cheers

6. GanDoonToonPet

Although still waiting for clarification from SJ on the mysterious 10 days. Was this a 10 day break in the contract, necessitating a trip to Laos to start the visa process all over again (I very much doubt it), or simply 10 days pay docked?

I can imagine a scenario where continuing teachers were paid for the April holiday, but not paid during May until the students returned. It's just I noticed that the 10 May was a Sunday last year... :innocent

Last edited: 24 Apr 2016
  7. GanDoonToonPet

You must have some very well qualified colleagues. 48k is an astounding wage for an English (TEFL) teacher, even in Bangkok. I'm an experienced maths & physics teacher in a high-fee private EP school & that's what I pick up after tax... :huh

Of course it's a super low stress environment with small, well behaved & largely non-Thai students (read can speak English to near-NES level) with generous bennies so money isn't everything... :smile

bahn_farang likes this.
  8. sirchai

It's not always just about the money only. Have a great time in Thailand. Cheers:coffee-

bahn_farang likes this.
  9. GanDoonToonPet

He works in China now... :smile

10. SundayJam

I stated very clearly that we lost 10 days of pay. We didn't sign our contracts until April 11. I was observed 3 times last year and had my attendance checked in order to renew my contract. Then, some suit decided that the procedure was flawed and we all had to reapply.

I'm not happy about it, but the pluses still far outweigh the negatives.

Stamp likes this.
  11. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Right. But I hope to come back to Thailand sometime. My experience in China has been positive so far, but Thailand can be, as we all know, a very nice place to live. In China, that college entrance exam is deadly serious. Everything that goes on in primary and secondary education is done with an eye towards that test. College placement pretty much determines financial success for life (but not if every single case). So the foreign teachers are respected--we have a very important job because the future is truly at stake for almost every student. I find this environment positive. In Japan, it takes on a negative feeling. Japan has a similar system, but the kids seem to be in a toxic pressure cooker. Here, it does not feel that way.

For me, there is one thing about teaching in China that is a big bonus: no FaceBook. No phones in class. None, ziltch, zero, ain't gonna happen, nope. I love that.

Everyone has a different experience in Thailand, a different take on the culture. I find the overall cultural difference to be less between the US and China compared to that between the US and Thailand. In China, it is much easier to fit in because many people want to know you. In fact, China is much like the US: people focus on work and making money. So be it. Maybe you are a Westerner sitting there surrounded by your Thai friends. Good for you. I had none. I was always working on some project or venture. Those made some decent money, very decent by Thai standards. It was difficult for me to understand why some Thai guys I knew did not want to get involved in some extra work--even though it made some nice money and they were qualified. That one was tough for me to grasp. My better half, roi percent Isaan ching ching, had to explain it to me: they thought I would cheat them, that I would not be ching ching. Ching. Oh my gosh. She explained why Thai people prefer to work by themselves: no one else will pocket the money. Not an entrepreneur's dream. Nothing like trust and openness (smile).

In China, if you mention business project or make money their heads automatically start bobbing north and south; you won't be able to shake them. They are going to steal your idea later, ching ching, but that is OK.

One could argue that China is too business oriented, that education is too competitive. One could also argue that the kids are missing out somehow in elements having to do with personal and social development, elements that are not missing in the Thai educational system.

So, living and working in Thailand or doing the same in China, it's apples and oranges. I recommend one do both; it's educational.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2016
    GanDoonToonPet, sirchai and Stamp like this.
  12. SundayJam

We still need 2 NES teachers.

13. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I live right near there, it'd a nice little number, pity i posted about my jail time on here

14. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Did you? Can't remember.

15. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Hmm.. But i wanna get out of the city really. Ive been offered 40,000 at an EP in Buriram. Cost me a F. fortune living here. And the traffic.

Stamp likes this.