1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 English Teachers needed for Mahasarakham University Demonstration School

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by NODIIT, 30 Mar 2016.

1. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I agree money is not everything, motivated students, a well organised school, potential for private work, bosses that treat you with respect and fairness are all important factors. That said, we should be paid a wage commensurate with our role and responsibilities, we all have bills to pay! I am very lucky that the school I teach at has a lot of those boxes ticked.

In my experience there are two broad types of foreign teacher, those teachers who are just passing through or want to live here but don't really want to teach, but need some money to keep them going. They tend to stay for one semester, one year or sometimes even a year or two. Then there's another smaller group, who are committed to being here long term, they tend to work in EPs or similar programs. I would say I would belong to the second group and I'm not sure of the wisdom of that, because the system gives you very little, if any reward or recognition for that commitment.

The longer a foreign teacher has been living here in Thailand, the more likely they are to have settled down, married, kids, car, house etc. In my school most of the Thai teachers are paid the same, if not more than the foreign teachers, they also have a government pension and lifelong job security. A foreign teacher is only one disagreement or misunderstanding away from not having their contract renewed.

35k is the standard starting rate in Nakhon Ratchasima. Most of the better schools offer a pay rise each year, some base it on a percentage others just opt for an extra 1000 baht a month. Sarasas have opened up two large schools and pay a bit higher in return for extra classes taught between 4-5pm. They are almost always looking for teachers.

I know Khrusapa have this golden dream that a unicorn is going to appear and starting S**ting out NES teachers with a B.Ed, you have to admire their optimism! I on the other hand, live in the real world and I can't see why anyone with a B.Ed or other equivalent teaching qualification, would want to work in a mainstream school for comparatively low wages, when they could earn a lot more in an international school. Perhaps there are a very small number of retired teachers, who have a pension and are financially secure, who just work to keep themselves busy or for the love of it. I have only ever met one qualified teacher who chose to teach in a fairly poorly paid private school, he has since left to teach at an international school BKK. I don't think that it's purely down to money, even if a government school were to offer the same money, the lack of professionalism would drive them insane.

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

I really appreciated your post Hey Ewe
    oh yes do we ever

oh yes, our existence is one disagreement/ boss change away

For what it's worth the conditions will get worse, the wages will either stay the same or go down, whether relatively or not.

I know that the government school I am in will not offer me a pay increase until I grow wings and call myself Mildred (neither will happen any time soon) and there is more than a good chance that my current contract will be the last. My hard work, student improvement, helping out account to nowt. So two pieces of advice

1) Use your current situation to seek further improvement since you will need it whether to gain a waiver or a new job

2) Use your free time to work whether that be to create a cushion/funds to do the stuff you want to do/provide for your family.... unless you land a cream job only hard work is going to get it for you!

There is a culture which permeates with foreign teachers which claims a god given right to a job/wage increases/respect. It aint coming.

I take home less than 30k a month in my current job and am certainly not going to list the benefits from doing so but safe to say, I travel internationally, don't have to put up with visa bs and other (many) other benefits.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2016
    kruhjoe and Hey_ewe like this.
  3. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

I know it's never going to happen, but anyway I just wish you would have the chance to move to Phitsanulok. Your professional attitude and devotion towards teaching would be always more than welcome and appreciated in the team of "like-minded" teachers we're trying to build here. :thai wai

sirchai and bahn_farang like this.
  4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

kruhjoe, thank you.

It means even more from you. I visited your site when I was trying for my full license and it helped me pass.

thank you

kruhjoe likes this.
  5. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

Thank you, too.

That website still exists: TCT Test - Reference Materials. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), it has no use anymore, unless for nostalgia. And even though I had this collection of materials, I myself still failed three out of the four parts of the tests on my first attempt (I think in 2013), and then I never had the chance to take them again (due the cancellation of the tests). So I am still here without a teacher's licence. But hopefully that will change soon too, within a year, as I am already working industriously on my DipTEd course.

My passion for creating websites has still remained, as I am the one who has been building/updating the current site of our college, literally nearly from scratch and with very limited options that I was allowed to have. Of course, all for free... OR, well, "free" is a relative word here, as I have been employed by them for six years already, and most likely without such "favours", I wouldn't have been...

Well, but we're already going quite far from the topic of this thread...:sorry Now I really hope that they've managed to find the 2 new ESL teachers they're looking for...:laughing5

Last edited: 24 Apr 2016
    Hey_ewe, sirchai and bahn_farang like this.
  6. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the ability of a government department to go full circle, particularly here in Thailand. I'd keep hold of those reference materials just in case some bright spark at Khrusapa decides to reinvent the wheel! :laughing5

kruhjoe and bahn_farang like this.
  7. NODIIT

NODIIT Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Well, anyway... positions still open apparently :cool...

8. NODIIT

Time for the usual update . Apparently even agencies gave up on our case :laughing5.

I don't really get why. The place and salary are not very attractive but from what I saw these past semesters, everywhere around (in Isan) the salary are dropping and hours are still the same.
    At least here we've got decent teaching hours and respect from Thai colleagues (which is invaluable imo).

I guess teachers are just flying away from the place...

9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Curious to know, NODIIT. Who are doing their teaching now? Has your school considered raising the salary a bit? A school here in town did that and more applicants were applying.

10. NODIIT

Good question. If it was up to the school, I think they would increase us. But, as we are a demonstration school it is the University that decide.
    Last semester we had Thai substitute teachers to replace native but:
    1. parent complain about paying for a service that they children don't receive.
    2. Thai substitute are harder to find (for various reason: mainly larger recruitment from gov. school)

:/

Stamp likes this.
  11. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Salary:
    The successful candidate will be paid at least 40,000b per month.
    If the candidate has additional qualifications such as a degree in Education/ PGCE/ Post graduate diploma or vast teaching experience then the salary is very likely to be increased.

THat's a job at for a very similar position at Sisaket Rajabhat. Please see:

Homeroom Kindergarten Teacher at Sisaket Rajabhat University Demonstration School | Teaching English in Thailand

Who's pocketing? :cursing Sisaket, the poorest province in Thailand? Should somebody be interested the job's still available.