1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 English Teachers needed for Mahasarakham University Demonstration School

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by NODIIT, 30 Mar 2016.

1. NODIIT

NODIIT Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Ctrl C / Ctrl V :

It's official, we need at least 2 English Teachers at the Mahasarkham University Demonstration School :D

• 30k salary

• 12 months contract (renew automatically at the end of September, except if you are an a**...). As the position start in May, you will get first a 5 month contract.

• 18h per week, probably less (presence from 7h45 to 16h30 with one gate duty each week). You scan in, show your face at the morning assembly then you are free to do what you want as long as you show up on time for your classrooms.

• Social Security stuff (you will need to be patient). University have an hospital and healthcare in Sarkaham is ok.

• Summer break during Songkhran and all the usual + possibilities to take some day off as long as you don't abuse and communicate about it.

• you must provide a valid visa and pay the WP and visa extension but the IR Office do the paperwork for you (except the 90 days reports).

• you must own at least a Bachelor Degree (given the actual state of affair in the country, any degree will probably be ok )

• No teaching license requirement as we are not falling (yet?) under Kurusapha umbrella.

• Lunch for free and if you want you can get a spartan room at the school dormitory (located on the campus, 400m from the school).

Depending on who you are and what you want, two possibilities:
    • you will be teaching conversation and listening skills to M1 to M3 regular and gifted students. My experience is: Thai teacher provide a method book, you planned your lesson from it but you are free to add supplementary materials.

OR

• you will be teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP) to M4 to M6. These subjects, as well as the audience (typical Thai teenagers), can be challenging. I may be able to provide some help but do not expect curriculum or specific books. you must provide your own teaching materials.
    A friendly and respectful working environment but you need to be both:
    • independent enough to be able to plan your work (this is not a gov. school where you are ask to teach-by-the-book, you will have plenty of freedom).
    • able to work with a co-teacher and willing to learn how to use the specific grading school system. If you want to be a long-termer you will need to communicate with Thai staff and report on your work on a regular basis.
    • tolerate a French guy inside you office. Most of the people find me tolerable but some in the past had problem with ... my accent :hilarious?

You are actually working for the Uni. so again, no TCT requirement.

The Campus is large and we have a small foreign community (teachers from different faculties+some exchange students).

MSU is managed as a family-community business and life here is pretty quiet.
    We do have plenty of Pubs, Restaurants, Karaokes, a Big C and even a new Mall with a theater (English sub. only for Thai movie).

Feel free to pm me if you are interested.

I'm not in charge of the recruitment: my boss is. I'm posting here because the average fellow on this board seems to be a decent teacher and I will favorably welcome one of you as my new colleague.
    Be also aware that the school staff is very young on average and there is certainly a biais toward recruiting young face. This is discrimination and I'm not ok with this but it is a fact that you should now if you are above 50 and plan to apply.

:thai wai

Mati, Gor Blimey Guvnur! and Stamp like this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck. I worked for a Rajabhat University Demonstration School and was paid less.

3. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

Thanks for the detailed job description. That's always welcome.

The employer seems to be quite demanding, considering the terrible remuneration on offer.

They won't get anyone to sign up on those terms.

4. Ajarn Greg

Ajarn Greg Well-Known Member

NES or near NES, in the middle of nowhere with 30k. You should not have any doubts on why these positions are vacant for more than one year...

5. NODIIT

I don't actually :innocent
    (and I'm not in the job for the money, that's for sure)
    School staff may slowly realize this but the Uni... well. Let's say MSU is cheap and it's not going to change tomorrow...

6. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that a number of upcountry universities have this problem, now that they've been privatized, and no longer get huge government grants every year.

NODIIT likes this.
  7. NODIIT

I believe it is generalized. What is the average starting salary now in EP program around the Kingdom?

8. Sam

Sam New Member

Are they still looking for a teacher ?

9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I think between 30 and 35 k except BKK.

Mati likes this.
  10. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So not the best pay packet in the world but the above is a major plus point eh.
    Lol, I taught there at a high school for a week for no money just to help out a teacher who was the wife of a kamnan in baanok nowhere in Roi-et who I was staying with for 3 months learning about farming etc. way back in 2000. Was a fun experience and remembered one of my questions for the M1 to 3 students: "What does your mother/father do?" 90% reply was a farmer ...yep Nodiit would verify that I think.

11. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

When oh when do we all get past the monthly pay check? Hours taught, cost of living, benefits, ability to pick up extra lessons, is my boss a dick etc etc. all contribute to the overall picture

If someone really wants to succeed in the land of smiles without a Bed. then welcome to the land of "suck it up". Accept that the salary is going to be between 30-40k and then do the extra hours or get a side line.

I really hope that "but I an a NES" dies and dies soon.

kruhjoe likes this.
  12. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bahn_farang.
    You hit the nail on the head.

This is one of the most awesome answers I've ever seen to address this constant "low wage bs" complaint.

Because why should a Thai boss pay a farang more for doing the same nothing as they would do for a lower salary? I have seen many "big mouthed" foreign "teachers" over the years, but not many of them have proved to be as professional, as hard-working or as dedicated as they thought they were, for which they could have actually deserved the money they had been yearning for.

And yes, there are always alternative ways with which you may earn a little extra (and not only money but also reputation) above your nominal monthly salary, if you're smart enough. Even at the school where I am. But of course, you have to "actually" WORK for that...

Last edited: 21 Apr 2016
    Mati likes this.
  13. NODIIT

Saw the head of department but we did not speak about this. Afaik the position(s) is still available :smile.

14. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Rajabhat Sisaket with a similar project offered a salary of 40 K + in brand new buildings, but teaching Kindergarten. It seems that the position's taken, but you never know until you know.

15. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

In lower north east between 32 and 36 K, usually with a 12 months contract and paid expenses.